Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Whats causing these red brown marks on my strawberry plant l

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

June 11, 2014
10:41 AM

Post #9865345

Whats causing these red brown marks on my strawberry plant ?

Thumbnail by vanita79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2014
3:01 PM

Post #9867256

I am not sure. Could there be something in the water that is pooling there, then the water evaporates? Leaving the mineral (or whatever) behind?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 14, 2014
5:53 PM

Post #9868035

Either too cold night temp's or too much water, also check what type of wood chips you have as a mulch, there may be something in this that is causing a imbalance in the soil PH.
Maybe watering, too much left on foliage, always try to aim water onto the soil and NOT onto the foliage, Strawberries are like lot's of plant that have little hairs on the stems and leaves, under the leaves too, these hairs allow droplets of water to become trapped on the stem and foliage and causes fungal diseases or rot, Begonias are another plant with hairs and are best never to be watered onto the foliage but just the soil.

If you have NOT used wood chips, them perhaps the plants are too deep into the mulch or the mulch may be piled too high up the stems of the plants, maybe use your fingers to scrap a lilt area around the stems free from the wet mulch / soil but don't remove all as the mulch is helping retain moisture around the root area where the plant really need the moisture.
Hope this gives some ideas or clues, and you can fix the problem soon.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

June 14, 2014
11:25 PM

Post #9868195

Thanks for ur reply both. The sun is pretty strong here so I place these in part shade behind a curry tree and water it generously everyday. The soil is always dark and never dries up. I don't even mulch it.

Maybe I will try reducing the water.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 16, 2014
2:03 PM

Post #9869477

Definitely, less water, prob more sunlight, the soil looks way too wet, strawberries like most fruit, don't like dry soil as there is an intake of water required to swell the fruit, BUT if they are not in a warm environment where there is some amount of sun, they wont flower, the insects wont come to pollinate any flowers that are there, that means the fruits wont set IF you do get little fruits, no sunshine means they wont ripen or go red as again, they need sunshine for that process to take place.
It's finding the balance to try make sure we give the different plants what they need, all fruit likes some sun, some water, weed free, a little feeding depending on soil type and with luck, we get a good crop before the birds get there first LOL.
Hope you have a better idea what you need to do for the plants and you get a good crop to enjoy, MMMMMM mouth watering LOL
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

June 20, 2014
1:26 AM

Post #9872474

I live in a dessert where temperatures can go upto 45-50 in peak summer. I just hope I can manage to save them till the winters come and the fruits are ready to set.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 21, 2014
12:00 PM

Post #9873827

Never give up hope, Not sure how many plants your talking about and if NOT hundreds, then you can do many things to help the plants, IF possible, try set up a tent like shelter, NOT closed but open ended, also try NOT take the sides of the tent right down to the soil as you want pollinating insects to help the fruit form into the berries. try use garden canes for the framework and fabric.
Also by building an open shade type shelter, you can see the plants, you can still tell IF they need watering without removing the whole structure, there are several materials available from the garden store.
I like the soft white fleece available by the yard / metre, it's so lightweight and easy to handle when there is no wind, the next is an open woven plastic looking white or green netting, again buy it by the length you need, these materials can be washed in machine on gentle, dried and stored for another year. ALL allow air to circulate yet keep sun off the plants ,lets rain or hand watering onto the soil, and will help prevent the intense sun to scorch the greenery preventing burning / browning of foliage, the plants need that greenery to take up water, to protect the fruit and it gives energy required for the plant growth.
Have a search around the garden stores, these materials are normally on large rolls on a metal frame so you just ask for the length you require and pay per yard / metre.
Hope this gives you some other ideas to help you through the highest of the summer temps.
Good luck. WeeNel.
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

June 23, 2014
1:43 AM

Post #9874984

Thankyou so much. Yes, I shall consider the tent if the heat gets unbearable. Right now I have them behind a small curry tree so they get shade as well as sun. The problem is I lost one plant allready and two are still surviving but there is very little green leaves now so no fruits yet. I am worried because most new leaves are brown.

They get only 3-4 hours of sun as my balconey is north west facing.

I think thats a blessing because the plant that died, died because of too much sun on a south facing window. The sun gets really strong here.

Sadly, this is all thats left.

Thumbnail by vanita79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America