Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: fertilizing Confederate Jasmine plants..

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
billbach
Scottsdale, AZ

June 14, 2014
2:53 PM

Post #9867931

What kind of fertilizer? What I use now on my Azelaes?
Thanks, Bill
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 17, 2014
3:45 PM

Post #9870446

jasmine belong to a largish family of flowering shrubs, either climbers or ground cover.
The like a free draining soil and don't like their feet / roots standing in wet soil so add gravel, to the soil IF your soil wont drain away vey quickly.

As for feeding, stop using the Azalea feed, All Azaleas , Rhododendrons, etc like an acidic soil and I'm not sure IF you build up the acidity over several years by adding that type of feed, you may loose out on flowers or even loose the Jasmine.

I would be inclined to add some good quality compost to the planting area, a good source of compost / humus is horse manure that has been really well rotted (no smell and feels like nice compost) mix this into the soil by forking it into soil GENTLEY so you don't cut / break plant root, the other type of feed I like to use is Blood / fish / bonemeal, this is already mixed when you but a packet, this feed is a slow release fertiliser and it lasts for the whole season, please read and use the directions given, never overfeed plants as it can be worse than NO feed. OR use a multi purpose plant feed as you can more or less use that on most other plants (NOT ones needing an acidic plant feed) all these type of feeds I have suggested are scattered around the root area and gently fork this into the soil, watering or rain will help take it down to the roots themselves where it is most required.
End of season I would give another feed (same dosage as before given by feed manufactures) also if it's a climber, I would thin out any DEAD or bare woody stems, after this thinning, maybe think about shortening Half the other stems, next year prune the other stems left alone this year.
This often shocks the plants into making a lot more new growth and that means more flowers.
Hope this helps you out a bit and you can enjoy your nice flowering shrub.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2014
7:57 PM

Post #9870665

Confederate Jasmine is Trachaelospermum jasminoides, not related to Jasminum genus.
Still, it is not one for too acidic a soil.

If your soil or irrigation water has a pH anywhere over the mid 7s, then go ahead and try the acid reacting fertilizers packaged for shade plants. Otherwise I would use a general purpose, but not too often. They are not very picky, nor demanding.

Best way to tell: Use a soil test kit to figure out the current pH (before using such fertilizer) then test it after using that fertilizer and giving it some time to work. If it makes the pH lower than the mid 6s that is too low.
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2014
4:45 AM

Post #9873524

I have grown Confederate Jasmine for 8 years now. I have some in the ground along our fence and another in a pot with a trellis. When I first planted the ones in the ground, I wasn't into gardening and didn't fertilize it at all. Not to mention that I planted it directly into our sandy ground! I watered it only until I saw new growth (about a month later) then it was all left up to mother nature. It grew great and flowered beautifully the following May and every year since.

This year I dug up a little piece from along the fence and potted it. I watered it daily for a week, then twice a week for a few weeks, and now I only water it once a week unless it rains. I give all the Jasmine a foliage spray of "Jack's All Purpose 20-20-20 Water Soluble Fertilizer" once or twice a year when I am spraying it on all the other plants in my gardens. A few weeks ago, I sprayed "Ironite Plus Liquid Lawn & Garden Spray" on the potted Jasmine and the foliage turned an amazing dark green and growth took off.

From my experience with Confederate Jasmine is that they are not finicky and don't really need a lot of fertilizer and ones planted in the ground don't need much supplemental watering after a month or so. The ones I have in the ground have gone a month without any water, even with temps in the 90's, and it didn't damage them a bit.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America