Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: A SOIL FOR EVERYTHING??

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kingconeflower
East Uniontown, PA

June 19, 2014
8:55 AM

Post #9871823

Years ago I stopped at a nursery ,landscaping place and noticed a huge pile of what looked like topsoil or whatever...I asked the owner what it was and he said he used it in every plant they plant...He named the ingredients, but I forgot them, but he told me it covered "all bases!"...I filled a huge container, he charged me 5 bucks, and I was gone...Everything I planted turned out fine...Any ideas as to what was in it???...Thanks!!!!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 19, 2014
3:35 PM

Post #9872176

Theres as many answers to that question as there uses for this special mix of soil LOL.
My own guess would be it was his own mixture of perhaps home made compost with perhaps some vermiculite, some plant feed like Blood / fish / Bonemeal, or Multi purpose plant feed, Or even some animal manure like horse, chicken etc. Just looking at the soil after all this time wont help especially IF there has been growing plants in it as they will have depleted all the nutrients held within the soil

Maybe IF you could remember the garden Centre / Nursery you got this soil from, give them a phone / email and ask what the soil was made up from, assuming it was a home made mixture.
Most gardeners and professional Nursery folks will pass on there home brews be it food, soil /compost mixture or whatever, These days gardeners are much more interested in what they put into their soil especially IF it they are growing edible plants into the soil, so IF it's a big secret, then my gut feeling would be that additives are perhaps NOT Chemical free or even any additives good or bad.

I make up my own compost mix for my pot's and containers, and add manures and home made composts as well as blood / fish /bone-meal etc to my beds and Borders for veg and Perennial flowering plants BUT add peat mix to beds for my plants / shrub's that need a more acidic soil like Rhododendrons, Camilea's, etc, so IF you want to go that way, there will be books, available from garden store or local library that you can look at, take paper and pen to write down the recipe, tailor it to suit your need and believe me, it's NOT difficult but just a bit daunting till you understand what each ingredient will do to help your soil.

Hope this can help you get started either on your own for mixing your own soil OR by getting back in touch with the grower you were happy with their product.
Good luck and enjoy your gardening season.
Best Regards,
WeeNel.
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2014
8:47 AM

Post #9872758

I like to add eggshell particles to my composit, which proves fine for my plants.
The fine particles are made as follows:
1. Collect used hen-egg-shells.
2. Soak with strong white vinegar 3 days till shells become very soft.
4. Stir with a stick.
5. Filter with a cloth and you get fine particles, and then ready for service.
Jianhua
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 20, 2014
3:23 PM

Post #9873103

I also add Egg shells to my compost heap, it adds calcium to the soil when mixed into the garden when the composting process has ended and time to add the nice compost.

I put the shells into a used plastic bag, give a few bangs with the rolling pin and this crushes the shells to small enough pieces, but everyone has there own methods,
Some of my friends just crush the shells in their hands and throw them onto the top soil as it helps keep slugs and snails away as they don't like the sharp edges of the shells. After a while they are forked into the soil when the beds are tidied or prepared for planting.

Just add anything to the compost bin / heap that is NOT man made, all the kitchen waste, fluff from the clothes drier, fluff from carpet cleaner.
shredded newspaper and from the paper shredder, soot, Charcoal from BB Q, all the garden waste except anything with Perennial roots or flower seeds, I like to chop these parts off the waste before it goes into compost, dont add tooooo much of the same stuff like paper or grass / lawn cuttings but mix these well into the heap, too much of those cause a smell and you don't want that, all food waste should be chopped if pos, NO cooked food or you might get mice etc

Hope this help you and you get good soil all by your own careful gathering of the best stuff you can manage to compost in your own yard.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel..
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2014
2:34 AM

Post #9873485

THe egg shells processed by the method mentioned above turn into very particles like fine dust, so it is easier for plants to take in the necessary nutritions like calcium, and rare elements.
I resident in the close vicinity to a retail fruit market, where the dealers oftentimes dump out the
rotten apples, oranges, pears, etc. I get them home and turn the trash into treasure. Bagging them in
an air-tighted plastic bag, I leave them fermenting fully inside, thus an organic fertilizer is made -- money saved, greens love it.
Glad to compare garden notes.
Jianhua
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 21, 2014
5:58 AM

Post #9873587

It is the best part of gardening Jianhua, sharing ideas and methods, No matter where I've been in the world and IF I get a chance to chat to gardeners, they all love to help / share their different methods and on some occasions, show there results. even allow you to taste, just wish we could bring some of their plants back home with us but, sadly there are rules and regulations in place to forbid that, BUT by being given the name of plants or edible things, sometimes we can trace the seeds allowed, other time and MOSTLY, it's just great to have had their experience of gardening and compared with them how we do things.

Gardeners are always learning new ways and I'm the first to tell people that there are NO right ways, we all adapt our own methods once we get to grips in why we need to help our plants along LOL.

have a great gardening season and enjoy your plants.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America