Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Zucchini Trouble Shooting

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PerfecTommy07
Chicago, IL

June 20, 2014
5:57 AM

Post #9872610

Please help me identify the white “bumps” I found at the base of one of my Zucchini plants. This particular plant got pretty well kicked around by super some strong wind about a week ago. Some of its leaves were stunted from shock, but it seemed to bounce back pretty well.

I gave it a good checkup yesterday and found that the base was not looking very healthy at all. The stem at the soil line is very rigid almost woody which might be a good thing as it has fared well during some more recent windy episodes. But the white bumps concern me; it looks like it could be some kind of fungus? The rest of the plant actually looks quite healthy, plenty of new green growth. I would not have thought there was a problem had I not inspected the base.

This plant is sharing a large container with a volunteer mammoth sunflower (that is doing VERY WELL)

Can anyone ID this symptom and suggest a course of action. Hoping its not a goner.

Thanks
PT7

Thumbnail by PerfecTommy07
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2014
7:17 PM

Post #9873312

Tommy, does the potting mix have a lot of perlite in it? It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but I was wondering if it might just be pieces of perlite stuck to the stem...possibly blown there during the heavy wind?

Why don't you try taking a piece of wood or a toothpick and see if it comes off easily. Make sure to wear a pair of garden gloves or rubber gloves just in case it's something else.

If you get a chance, post again and let us know what you find out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America