Post #9872980

Best method/type of fertilizer? Zone 5. Thanks
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 25, 2014
5:27 PM

Post #9877636

Most Acers like a slightly acidic soil, ask at the garden store for acidic plant feeds for that type of plant, Rhododendrons as well as Azaleas and many other lovely plants that originate from that region all like the same type of acidic soil.
Hope this helps you out a bit.
Best regards.
WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2014
10:07 PM

Post #9877817

Slow growing, so do not heavily fertilize.

If you have any idea what is already in the soil then you can tailor the fertilizer to supplement with the missing ingredients. Have you done any soil tests?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 26, 2014
3:31 PM

Post #9878402

Diana is absolutely correct and you should do soil tests, I do them every other year for instance on my veg beds as each year they do change their PH depending what type of veg I have planted / grown in the beds, Garden soil also changes over the years, I grow a lot of plants that require acidic soil, fortunately on the West Coast of Scotland, there is this type of soil in many, many areas and the soil is very sandy, to compensate this, I add loads of horse manures, leaf mould and as I have thick woodlands also, I have plenty ready made leaf litter that helps keep the acidic soil and the ph balanced for the Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Camellia's Acers etc.
Acers like free draining soil BUT that does not mean dry at the roots therefore you need to add humus to the soil, BUT a soil test will tell you just what is required to be added, you can buy a cheep soil testing kit from the garden centre, you don't need a big expensive and complicated testing kit., the cheap ones last ages and do loads of tests, make sure you test several areas of your cultivated garden areas as they can be huge differences within the same Garden.
Hope all the replies help you get things sorted out soon and you have a nice small shrub / tree, they are beautiful and when used as a specimen plant close to other plants with textured leaves and colours, they are quite spectacular.

Best of luck and Good Wishes.
WeeNel.

Pungato
Fredonia, NY

July 10, 2014
2:25 PM

Post #9890394

Thanks all for your sound advice. I appreciate the thoughtful help. Best wishes, Pungato

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America