Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: tomato and pepper plant have brown stem at ground level

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
heroncove13
New Harbor, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2014
7:08 AM

Post #9878027

I have planted 30 tomato plants and 15 pepper plants in Maine. The stem on one tomato plant and 3 pepper plants have developed a brown woody stem at ground level. The woody stem is getting narrow. The plants seems to be doing ok (however the tomato plant is smaller then the rest of the tomato plants). Any idea what this is and how to correct? Thanks.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2014
7:55 AM

Post #9878070

It might be Phytophthora blight. Here is one link to some info:

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Cucurbit_Phytoph.htm

heroncove13
New Harbor, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2014
5:48 AM

Post #9878848

Thanks for the info, I did look at the link and it sounds like I do have Phytophthora blight. Should be interesting, thanks again.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2014
6:12 AM

Post #9878877

You're welcome. That's a fairly common problem. I think I have some on one of my tomatoes this year. :(
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 30, 2014
9:29 AM

Post #9881556

The damage to the bottom of the stem prevent the real uptake of water and feed and this will cause the stunting of the plant. I would just keep the plant going BUT maybe move it away from the other IF possible, IF not able to move try make a tent type thing around the rotter area so that ant spores cant be blown, splashed or touch the other plants, A cardboard collar may even help too.

I know it's a long shot but as already stated, this is a common problem with tomato's especially SOME type more prone to it than others, also a little bit of damage caused by removing any lower foliage can allow things like this to enter the stems and spread.

A couple of years ago when this struck some of my POT grown plants, I just buried the plant, roots and all, into a larger pot added more soil, took the soil a good few inches above the damage, after several weeks of normal care, watering, feeding etc, the plant made new roots from the stem ABOVE the plant did NOT grow as tall as the others BUT it did stay alive and the foliage looked healthier, NOT great amount of fruit6 but what was there tasted delicious, so I would have lost the plant anyway, all I did was use a little more compost and feed.

Just a thought for you IF you feel you can save the plant.
BY the way, My plants have to grow indoors / greenhouse as I don't have a long enough season hear and the correct light wont start toll maybe April.

Hope you can save the plant and this does not spread to the next plant.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
heroncove13
New Harbor, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2014
3:28 AM

Post #9882305

Thanks to all for the comments, very helpful, I will bury the woody part of the stem and see what happens, thanks again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America