Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Late season planting

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fivegreatkiddos
Littleton, CO

June 27, 2014
7:21 PM

Post #9879522

Hello:
I have participated in a community garden for the past 4 years and I live in Denver, CO. I planted everything from seed this year and, unfortunately, I was not very successful. I started my seeds indoors and then transferred them to my garden. I lost my carrots, beets, lettuce and chard. I went to the garden nursery and bought whatever they had left, just so I would have something in the ground. I was wondering if there is anything I can start from seed (try again) right now that would grow in the garden? If I started the seeds indoors and then transplanted them into the garden, what might work this late? My garden plot has to be cleared out by October 26th and I only plant vegetables.
Thank You
Susan R.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2014
7:05 AM

Post #9879747

The fastest growing plants are always worth while:
Radish, Lettuce, Carrot, Turnip

Read about each variety and get something that specifies a short time until harvest.

Root crops are almost always direct seeded. So scratch a little row in the garden for them.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 30, 2014
9:04 AM

Post #9881533

Carrots, Beetroot and all the root veg still have time to grow, OK they may NOT get to prize size BUT young and tender is best I always say LOL.

If I were you, I would plant straight into the garden, make sure you prepare the soil well by raking to a fine grade, lay a string, plank of wood along the line you need the rows, use finger or rake handle to run alone the straight line and sprinkle the seeds, NOT TOO THICKLY, mark each row with a label and cover the seeds very gently, water and leave alone till you see nice little green lines,
Keep weed free, water as much as required but not a harsh watering, you don't want to disperse the seeds that have not ALL germinated. The germination should be quicker as the soil is nice and warm.

I don't know what size you veg area is BUT potatoes (the late type) are another crop to try, you don't need a huge crop, maybe just one row to get you garden fresh potato's for a roasting NOV / Dec. what could be nicer.

BY the way, you will have to thin out the row/s of root veg and these are wonderful for adding whole to salads, caseroles etc, so never throw the thining's out, with Carrots, as you thin, hold the little plant between your 1st and 2nd finger flat on the ground and gently pull with left hand, this stops too much disturbance to the neighbouring seedlings and also prevents attracting carrot root fly as disturbing this crop allows that lovely carrot smell to attract these bugs, at this time of year they are not a big problem BUT earlier sowings do attract these flies that lay eggs beside to soil around the growing carrots and the eggs hatch, the grubs crawl down feeding on the carrots rendering them into useless, holed and a lot of people don't like using the carrots but all my friends just cut out the damaged parts, the grubs are already gone and turned into adult flies ready to start the cycle off next year.

Hope you take the decision to have another go but my opinion is it's too late for indoors germination and a lot of the root veg don't take the disturbance of transplantation. it takes a bit for the roots to resettle into new environment and that alone looses a week or two, direct sewing saves that time.
Best of luck and kind Regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America