Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2014
5:24 AM

Post #9885923

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1356823/#new

Sharing techniques, ideas, successes and frustrations. All are welcome to add experiences and ask questions.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2014
10:57 AM

Post #9886132

A few I'm trying ,, Still at the weed with food thing .
Boehemera Cylindrica false nettle
Aveens sativa Variegated ( suppose to be at he end as a fill pic )
Vernona Altissma (Ironweed
Goji (chinensis ( in a bottle
Aveena sativa green

I also have some trifoliate Orange , That been in a bottle for weeks , setting so their out of the bottle setting the sun in a cup and bowl , no germination so far ..
Any citrus seed advice ? any would be helpful .. Any of you with any experience at citrus ..
Their all giving me difficulty orange , lemon , several ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2014
4:55 PM

Post #9887163

Thanks for the new thread Pam :)

Juhur, I've heard that with citrus, the fresher the seed, the better the germination rates. Just a guess here, but maybe you could try soaking the seeds next time? My ponderosa lemon is growing at a snails rate. I started it from seed in march or so, it's been outside living in a crock, but I think the sun may be too much for it. Still need to figure these citrus out myself :)

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2014
7:18 PM

Post #9887279

Evelyn asked, "Does anyone ever think what happens to our gardens, once we leave them? Either we move or we pass on...then what becomes of the gardens we work in for so long and hard."

That is such a sad thought, it really made me think. I spend so much time tending to these little green growing things, and it brings me so much joy to plant these tiny things, then later to see them flower or set fruit, it is truly amazing and I liken it to raising a baby.

Some of us are lucky enough to have loved ones to share our gardens with. I happen to be lucky enough to have a spouse who indulges my chatting incessantly about this weed and that flower, which seeds I am currently trading, etc. He knows I am passionate about gardening, and since he loves me, he is supportive of my passion. But if I passed, I don't think he would tend my gardens, aside from the occasional watering. Can't blame him, it's just something he wouldn't know where to even begin.

I am still young enough (I'm 33) where I haven't given a whole lot of thought, or put into motion a plan for when I die, but I think it would be nice to invite DG friends to take my plants when I do. Since I don't have anyone else in the household who shares this passion of gardening. Maybe have a designated friend who can be reached afterward to post on DG and invite local DGers or other interested gardeners to remove plants that would otherwise perish. Maybe leave a few low maintenance perennials and bulbs in a new "memorial garden" for family members to enjoy and bring memories of how much mom loved to garden. That would make me happy :))

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2014
10:01 PM

Post #9887341

Well I'm not sleeping real well so I went over was watching you tube ,
Well I remember scarifying the citrus seeds as a teen , today the video are showing peel the coat off the seeds ,, for lemon , orange , etc ,,
So ,, having to run out and do every thing I see on TV lol ?^_^ ,, now computer video ,, I decide to "try this at home" he , he , I did 5 seeds that way , peeled them , put them in a towel . in a baggie ,, in two weeks we will see and hear what happens ,,

This message was edited Jul 7, 2014 1:02 AM
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 6, 2014
10:28 PM

Post #9887348

I'm going to try orange seeds too. I'm tired of paying over $6 for 4 oranges.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2014
11:33 PM

Post #9887361

Shorty_ CA , You can do that where you are , I grew orange trees as a teenager , all those many years ago ,, little small oranges on those pot plant trees .. But they grew ..
I am retrying Ponderosa Lemon and Trifoliate orange (hardy here the orange)
There are some Meyer Lemon seeds around here somewhere ,, next time I come across them , I will try them also .
One of the Ponderosa Lemon started a root as soon as I put it in the Bag ,, boom , just like Mr Wizard zapped it for me ,,, I like that ,,,^_^ lol

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2014
1:52 AM

Post #9887379

Becky, I really like your idea. I think my DC would invite all my local gardening friends, but there are so many more on here.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2014
3:43 PM

Post #9888052

Turtles, you should tell your gardening friends the next time you meet up. Lucky you, I have ONE local gardening friend, the rest are all from DG :))

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2014
4:27 PM

Post #9888100

SWPD(Becky) are still wanting to try the red climber , the ones that look like a morning glory (sort of) ..
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2014
4:30 PM

Post #9888107

What climber is that?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2014
4:37 PM

Post #9888111

ones morning glory ) crimson rambler , the other is usually labeled cardinal climber .. not exactly morning glory but close (often their the same plant and both are annual

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2014
7:59 PM

Post #9888277

Hmm.. Cypress vine; Ipomoea quamoclit? I do have some I wintersowed, don't judge me.. They are still in their milk jug! Eeeeeek!

I've never grown morning glories, but I may try next year if I happen upon some seed. I googled 'crimson rambler' and she's a real beauty :)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2014
9:04 PM

Post #9888302

Yes, Becky, I will be moving from the gardens that I created 25 years ago, and more recently as well. I am washing and throwing out nursery pots that are cracked or damaged. I don't know how many I can take with me, but I will dig up most of my shady garden and some plants in the sunny ones...after I find out where I am going to live. Some plants will not be hardy enough, but most of them I think will do fine.

Hopefully we find the house before we sell ours, so I will know what to keep. I am in my 70's but still have to dig in the dirt. Hopefully I will have room to do some growing from seed, the reason for all the different size pots.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2014
9:28 PM

Post #9888314

Oh, I hope you end up with a great climate and the space you want. I fi d it very had to leave a garden behind.
Good luck.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2014
9:51 PM

Post #9888319

Thank you, 13 Turtles!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2014
1:24 AM

Post #9888359

Yes, good luck finding your next home!

I have moved gardens in the past, and still have plants descended from previous locations. It makes for a nice segue, and keeps memories alive.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2014
8:16 AM

Post #9888633

Perhaps you'll be able to find a new place the deer haven't found and you'll live happily ever after. Here's to wishing you all the best Evelyn.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2014
9:24 AM

Post #9888670

Wow 25 years! I bet it will be a task, but hopefully you'll have help, and like you said, maybe you'll find a place before yours sells and you can do some transplanting. Wish I lived closer, I'd help you out. Who knows, maybe the new homeowners will be inspired by your garden when they move in, and you'll have inadvertently paid it forward with some of your plants you decide to leave behind. Good luck and keep us posted!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2014
6:33 PM

Post #9889080

Evelyn...just remember when and if you move what you have t leave behind many of us are willing to share...Hand waving!!!!!!!!

And pam...reference from earlier post about the Verbascum phoenicium... seed pods are ripening now and I willl ship seed to you, (remind me you want it...and if I gooof reremind me) (lol) I will make sure to include enough you can just throw them in the garden and let them start on their own...when up you can move them to their spot when young... this is the frist year that the deer have tatsed them...tops only. Grrrrrrr... but they left the seed pods, guess they wern't colorful enough for them to eat... Speaking of those darn things, that town that was discussing thinning the heard, on the news tonight they said there are about 250 in a 1 square mile area. Told you it's a small town... but I didn't realize there were 250... Told you there were a bunch Way toooooooo many. Fingers are crossed they pass it and allow them to begin the thinning process. I'm only about 3 miles from town as the crow flies, but if they take the hiway they are about 5 miles from me...(lol, they never do take the hiway route) And darn...had a single doe in the yard the other day...looked like it ran into something as it's chest was ripped open and bleeding... Darn I hate to see them like that but ... nothing I could do.. She wandered off and I haven't seen her since. And then my neighbor told me another doe in the neighborhood had had twins... Dilema...ya...

Ok, you all have a good one...later. Kathy

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2014
12:02 AM

Post #9889234

Kathy my hub would love to "thin" them if he could.. So sorry you're having these varmint problems!!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2014
3:40 AM

Post #9889257

I'm in love with the V Chaixii. 3 days after the 1st pic it became spectacular! Do you know if the seeds you sent me are V Wedding Candles? Sure looks like it!

Also, the Dianthus Loveliness is... well, lovely! Another winner, here with Salvia May Night.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2014
10:00 AM

Post #9889493

No, if you got the seed from me I've only had V phoenicium...and if you only get white let me know... I just added V. Southern Charn and one is beginning blooming now...(thanks Evelyn!!!!! I made a nice sized patch of them and saved many to make another..they are doing beautifully, I was worried about the tap root but not a problem)

Gosh don't ya just love those Dianthus...soo pretty and smells sooo good. Remember to cut a few stems for the house so you'll continue to develop more stems and blooms thru the summer!!! I have a young plant of the red beginning to bloom now and will collect some of the seed too...

The roses in the feild are blooming now and the fragrance is soooo wonderful..my Valariana is not quite finished yet...and both combined make it absolute heaven...

Overnight deer came in an d chommped off the foliage on two new Rose climbers that were potted and waiting to get into the garden. (Golden Showers). Guess when they fill out again they will have more stems...and they decided to also try a few stems of the Valariana... Geeze told you they were pests..
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2014
1:22 PM

Post #9889626

Maybe it was plants you sent? Do you have anything that looks like that? I could have sworn it was from you...

I looked up that V Southern Charm, very nice soft colors.

I really, really hate deer except to eat. Then they are excellent. For both reasons, lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2014
1:40 PM

Post #9889638

Every time I read this '
My Deer , Deer Whom
I couldn't resist
That delightful bloom
My Deer , Deer Whom .
It was there , for me see
Within my room
So I ate that bloom .
Now I want more
My Deer , Deer Whom ...

Pretty plant Pfg , WWk ,, You all always do have ,,
Hyperion Daylily #1 and a Hyperion that grew and blooms as a Star ..#2

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2014
9:05 AM

Post #9890218

Yup, sure do Pam...most of mine get 18-24" ish., and the older the plant is it will begin to make a candleabra type effect.. when it gets done blooming cut it back but don't necessarily take the whole flowering stem and you'll get some branching and rebloom... Tho they are pretty much done by midsummer. That's why I was so pleased with the Southern Charm...hope I get blooms a bit further into the season and love that's it's taller than what I have now.

Yum Hyperion, smells yummy but my fav is still Hemerocalis flava (Lemon Lily) . sniff, snff, yummmmmmm! LOL. My daylilies are just beginning to bloom, will have to find my Hyperion and give it a sniff..

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2014
11:10 AM

Post #9890298

Wow, a garden without deer...what a nice thought! I saw some of the homes' gardens. I did not see any tall fences either. (Oh, I DO hope!)

As far as plants are concerned...I will dig all the plants up that are not the ones that belong in the permanent landscape, such as rosemary, santolina, broom, euphorbia, lavender...etc. Not sure on some, but for sure I will be taking all the shady garden plants for the new garden that I created recently. More recently is the hot bed and I do not know about all those. I might just dig all those up, too. It will depend on what we find.

I cannot afford to buy all new plants, and start from scratch. Nor do I want someone else's completed gardens, especially if there is no room for my own plants. I did see a lovely garden(s), which looked like it was created by a landscape architect. Not sure if I want to be that formal. I have been gardening in the country too long. I think these problems will iron themselves out when we visit in person.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2014
3:18 PM

Post #9891922

This could be off topic as far as conversation , thought this might be fun for some ,,I don't live in the wild of semi suburbia Sooo no Deer around me ,,,
Here's some lemon seeds ,
The ones that turned brown a few days after the coat of the seed was peeled off .. Are germinating
Others that did not turn brown , dissolved away .

Only one of my trifoliate orange seeds turned brown to Hardcoat after peeling the seed coat .

These are the lemon seed . five days after peeling ,,
How about that , pictures too ! lol :^_^
I re posted this on the germination forum also

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2014
5:06 PM

Post #9892002

About growing from seed ,,
Some coneflowers (Echinacea )
if it stays the same , another possible of my own ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2014
9:21 PM

Post #9892166

Good success juhur.

How did you peel the coat off?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2014
9:34 PM

Post #9892176

Hi ya Turtles !!! You tube how to , lol

lemon Tree from seed - YouTube
Video for lemon seeds► 2:36► 2:36
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B13GUBuqWjc

Bamboo and palms and orange , only one Bamboo so far has germination , small, only the container so far

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2014
10:04 PM

Post #9892191

About the Video Turtles ? It shows you where to start peeling the seed . There are a couple better videos .
Peel the seed with your fingers , A couple for practice will teach you what you need to know ,
Mine that germinated , were Deno method , room temperature in Bright light ,, not Direct Sun .

Any of the videos show you how to start peeling the seed though , Don't cut seeds with a knife ,Unless you have surgical skills and can see Telescopic !!! lol ? ^_^

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2014
11:03 AM

Post #9899346

Cool pics Ju, I especially like your double flowers!

Wondering how Pam and Kathy are doing with their "jam packed with gorgeousness" gardens? I imagine that's what heaven will look like when I see their pics :))

I've had a bunny chomping echinacea stalks down in the night. Only way I know it's him is the poop he leaves behind.. Too fresh to be the same bunny poop I fertilize with. Damn critters!!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2014
11:07 AM

Post #9899348

First bloom from seed grown echinacea. My first from seed :)

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2014
11:19 AM

Post #9899358

SWPD(Becky) Nice looking plant . Echinacea, are not always easy down your way I hear . zone edge .. The first pic is the only one that looks like it should , The wild draping looking ..

1is an older purple
2 is a White seedling Echinacea
3 a Goji Chinenisis .
last 2 are more Echinacea (seed grown )

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2014
11:28 AM

Post #9899367

Goji berry? Oh wow how did that one not cross my mind before?

Nice blooms :)) The echinacea here do great for me during spring, then grasshoppers feast on them all summer, apparently they invited mr bunny over for a taste too! But they do bloom heavily again in the fall so I'm not completely robbed of their company :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2014
11:48 AM

Post #9899389

I will put the Goji seedling under glass this winter , I'm trying to motivate myself to drill a hole with the digging tool , For that long tap root , I'm going to try to grow it on one of my weed willow trees ,, and see what happens .. lol
One of those plants that is suppose to be better if a couple seasons old when planted , I had a good one going , but the cover got knocked off this spring while it was still cold , it could not take the light freezes .
My Lemon tree has a couple tiny tiny feeder leaves , oranges never sprouted ..

SW) Thanks for that about the flower , only one stalk of that plant ever does that , but it is in the Gene pool somewhere ..
Only plants that are entirely resistant to Grasshoppers and what not here , are Thistle , Fleabane and Asters Wild ,, All common weeds here .. Bees love them , so a few I let grow ..
After look at Goji Berries a while , lmk me I still have a few seeds of both Chinensis and Babarum ,, Barbarum I have yet to sprout , 3 chinensis , two rather small , tiny in fact , Plants aren't in any hurry this year . lol?
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2014
8:14 PM

Post #9899830

Does anyone have experience germinating Kalanchoe seeds? I received a few fresh seeds and have planted them in potting mix. I did not cover them.

I really want them to germinate. I did a quick google search but did not find much information.

All of the oranges I buy are seedless. I'm doing research to find out if there are jumbo oranges that produce seeds. They aren't marked seedless in any of the grocery stores here and I was surprised that are all seedless.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2014
9:45 PM

Post #9899862

Shorty even my book on Succulent Propagation has little specifics on this genus.It says:
seeds are dustlike. Cross-pollination necessary for seeds to set. No pretreatnment necessary. They say the exact potting mix not real important, but do have good drainage. You can mix some 12-month slow-release fertilizer in, at half the recommended rate. But it IS important to top the mix with some coarse washed river sand, (or you can buy aquarium sand). Then sprinkle the seeds on top of the sand, and very gently water them in. It is not clear if this genus likes a plastic cover or not. Some succulent babies like some shade cloth. Kalanchoe is in the group they recommend starting seeds "at the beginning of the warmest months". Sounds like you should try now!
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2014
9:46 PM

Post #9899863

I'm glad you at least got to see the bloom Becky.

Here's a few of My first blooms from seed:
1 - Mongolian Giant Sunflower
2 - Red Sun Sunflower
3 - Amethyst Hibiscus

Thumbnail by Mipii   Thumbnail by Mipii   Thumbnail by Mipii      

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2014
10:53 PM

Post #9899888

Ooh they are lovely!!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2014
3:18 AM

Post #9899923

The funniest thing... Several of the Lupines I started last winter indoors are blooming their heads off! The pink are The Chatelaine, and the reds were a birthday present from WWK. The first one started in June. They show no signs of stopping, just keep putting out more and more flowering stalks. I hope they don't bloom themselves to death!

Thumbnail by Pfg

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2014
11:34 AM

Post #9900262

All some really pretty flowers ..Awesome in fact ! ,
My lupines done awhile ago with blooming , cooler weather , they did bloom twice though ,
Sunflowers might or might not bloom for me , Only one looks like it should .. Lots of pretty blooms about though ,,
Mostly this time of year here , Daylily , Echinacea , and Black eyed Susan ,

Although here is a Stargazer lily

Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 22, 2014
2:09 PM

Post #9900391

MLM thanks for the research!

I planted them last night in a clear plastic contained that dried fruit was in. I put a high intensity light on them and I have sprouts ^_^. Doing a happy dance!!

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2014
3:08 PM

Post #9900434

Shorty...YEAH!!!!!

Pam...should be very glad I got those seeds to ya.. the people that moved in the house that I had gotten them from ripped them alllllll out... How sad! It's such a wonderful color of (blue)red...

Robin, what type of Hibiscus, ht, P or A? interesting...

All the pix are great, here's a few from this season
1 the tall white cloud is Gypsophilla paniculata
2 New ly planted area in the back, got another section done the other day and need to get pix (20 various Peonies and 8 Lilium Black Out, yet to plant 8 white asiatics)
3 Thanks Pam, my new pink Allium, just love 'em... (still have 3 waiting to be placed in the border yet (tho planted in the excess garden (seedlings and those things waiting for just the right spot))
4 Got my dwarf elf at garage sale, next to my Sedum
5 Daucus carota Rubra, (my rare red Queen Anne's Lace, 24-36", Reseeds; sure am glad I found this seed as it was packed away...tho old still spouted just great..)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2014
3:29 PM

Post #9900452

I did a happy dance for ya too Shorty!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2014
8:40 PM

Post #9900701

Good going, Shorty!

Those Alliums spread themselves around eventually. I love them too. Mine are just starting to open. I don't see them listed anywhere, just the spring bloomers.

Too bad about the Lupines- do you want some seed back? I've been deadheading so they don't exhaust themselves, but I'll save some for you if you like.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2014
12:54 PM

Post #9901278

Shorty: *\o/* (that's me cheerleading your sprouts)
Kathy: *\o/* for your new planting (I also especially like the allium).
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 23, 2014
1:27 PM

Post #9901304

I took the tops off of them today. I don't want them to get damping off disease.

Now I'm going to try planting White Star plumeria seeds today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2014
2:02 PM

Post #9901330

Good to hear Shorty_CA Seed success is a Delight isn't it ? !!!^_^

Pfg Good going with the Lupines Too ...

Kathy I lost my pic of the Ammi with Red Foliage , I wish info would quit disappearing like that ,I really do ,, Very Hardy plant ..

Only success here in a couple weeks . A lemon Tree .
We were talking about augers on another thread just after that lillium above was posted here ,
I need to keep better track of what post goes where , Scattered typist here ,lol

Friends , this here , Is what I say is One Tiny Tree !

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2014
3:06 PM

Post #9901370

Kathy, Hibiscus cannabinus 'Amethyst' is supposed to be z6 -10; however, I'll let you know how it winters in zone 6...if I remember. I'll be collecting seeds from this baby, so I'll be able to share with my DG friends.

Your new garden looks like fun, can't wait to see more pics later. I'm going to have to get some Alliums too, I really like them...and the rare red Ammi also. Probably next year.

Pam, did you put some special sauce on those long bloomin' Lupines?
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 23, 2014
3:19 PM

Post #9901381

Juhur it is a delight and to think I almost put them in the last robin because I was afraid I would murder them.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2014
3:29 PM

Post #9901392

I have seed that am willing and happy to share for those who want some!!!!! Send me a dmail with address for those interested...foliage not red but the flower has a red tinge to them.

And pam, no need to save any for me, I still have about 1/2 of a baggy full of red and purple Lupines from her yet. But thanks...

Ya, Robin let me know if you collect any...and am now listed Z6a, so maybe...how tall will it get? I used to have Lord and Lady Baltimore and loved 'em cuz they were atleast 4 1/2 foot tall...

Mlm...lol. Love your applause...

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2014
4:34 PM

Post #9901451

Wow Kathy that must have been a pain but it sure does look great!

Good job Shorty!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2014
5:13 PM

Post #9901499

Here's my Baptisia and an unidentified , from winter sow .. , Wondering what this grassy thing is . Different from everything else around here though , tag melted away ...

Baptisia pic is fuzzy ,,, it's setting , does not seem happy , so I put in the ground anyway , see if that helps the runner rooting ,,

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2014
10:43 AM

Post #9902000

Juhur, did you plant any seeds for Japanese or Siberian Iris? Hmm, or maybe grasses (ornamental type), sisirynchium, garlic, allium, crocosmia, Lilium, Daylilies... How tall are the leaves? Am trying to think of all the plants with narrow leaves...

Becky am hoping it looks even better next year, but thankyou. I'm still adding plants and would like to fill most of it by fall. Wanna finish if I can before the snows... But am mentally working on the next section between those shown above and the new peonies. About 30 ft X 20ft ish. Got plants, just wanna figure out more mass planting of those things that I can and then the odd ball one of this two of that, etc.. Ya, my driveway looks like a nursery...lol. And I've been adding plants that were traded for too...
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 24, 2014
10:51 AM

Post #9902007

The leaves seem very thin for Japanese Iris. I have them popping up all over the place and the leaves start as thick when the seeds start germinating until they're adults.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2014
11:17 AM

Post #9902020

At the moment it (the grass) is barely a ft tall . Yes , blue eyed grass , kniphofia , any of a half dozen flax or Liatris . it could also be ,
Resembles a small lemon grass plant, and it is lighter , different than the "weeds" here , could be a new native though , different ones show up all the time , difference from not using weed killers all the time , ( well I will likely have to find out for sure if it is perennial
and see it bloom next season ,
It's different light color , very cooling effect ,, I guess it will go into a big pot , then in the ground around the garden this winter ,pot and all .
Eventually I will know what it is ..
There is a small rue, Sasafrass , or such in there also .

Kathy) When I saw the pic's above , My first wit was Ah Ha ! The Watermelon patch , Becomes a flower bed , lol All that sand ,, Looking really good there , Lots of plants seem to like the sand . Must be the mineral thing ,,lol

This message was edited Jul 24, 2014 2:19 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2014
11:47 AM

Post #9902037

Ya, pretty much the sand is on top of the soil, it has washed down from neighbors above me...down in the dirt it's a bit darker and loam!!!

Am thinking the Liatris and Linum both have smaller individual leaves...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2014
6:37 PM

Post #9904485

With the heat here, I have lost all my lupines except a few bush ("tree") lupines and most of those as well. This has been the hottest summer here that I can remember. I hope to move this year or next. Also gone are the delphiniums and a few, but not all of the monkshood. I should have been growing cactus and succulents!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2014
7:18 PM

Post #9904518

Well Evelyn don't forget the cycads ,,, I know though ,, that is always such a disappointment to see flowers that have lived a while wither away ,, bums me out ,,, terribly ,,

couple of daylily today
They like the cooler overcast weather .. you can still see buds forming ,, long time blooming these this year

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2014
9:28 PM

Post #9904638

Is that your 'Electric Orange' Daylily Ju?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2014
9:41 PM

Post #9904644

HI Mipii Robin That is the critters name , only not officially ,, only my name for my creation ..
I made it from cell pressing ,, Seeds from last years were a no show , no grow ,, so sterile it might be ..
other plant critters

ironweed
chocolate mint
Variegated catgrass
gold sedum
the lemon tree ^_^

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2014
10:06 PM

Post #9904650

oh and Robin looky here ,,lol
Date palm two have germinated ..

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2014
10:18 AM

Post #9904960

Very very nice Ju...great job! Is the 'Electric Orange' really that bright orange in real life? Did you develop the red one too?

Thanks for sharing your seedling booty...congrats! How long did the Date Palm take to germinate? What's your germinating medium? Hey, if I'm wandering into protective territory, just ignore me (I might go away...nah, not likely). Oh well ,"c'est la vie" says the old folk.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2014
11:55 AM

Post #9905018

the red is red volunteer ,, named variety

Yes that big orange -red bloom is bright , last year I fed it almost perfect , and it had that huge orange bloom , that even seemed to glow in the dark ,,
Could of named it dinner "plate ditch lily" lol not that large , lasts years largest was real close though ..

Palm seeds , sand and kitty litter the germination medium , laying on top in my sprouter , nice and humid

oui Madam - France' Bon Ami ? lol How about ,, yes ma;am , I can read and understand a little french , can't speak it though , can't really type it either ,,

Or how about ,, yeah ma ' you one of them there foreigners ,, lol

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2014
11:27 PM

Post #9905450

Kathy you are so lucky you can plant this time of year.. if I were to plant anything without some sort of sun protection rigged up, they would surely croak. It's been 100+ steadily but this week we're expecting a "cold front" so only high 80's for a few days. Woohoo maybe I will actually get to play a little.

Juhur how did your ponderosa lemon do? Mine got eaten by grasshoppers down to a tiny nub.. Story of my garden this year. So many plants have been chopped down by them.. :(

Kitty litter huh? I'm too chicken to start my date palms from Mipii.. Why the kitty litter? Is there a certain brand that has the characteristics you're looking for? Really interested since I think I read it's a finicky one to germ and recommend agar? I think. Lol

And what is cell pressing? Aaagh so much to learn!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2014
12:43 AM

Post #9905470

47 degrees here and my little lemon is in the house , with the spider plants and several others ,,

Basic description of home boy cell pressing ,, one version , roots chopped like hash potatoes , examined under a microscope for matching lines or vein , sealed together ,, coated in agar substance , ( years ago that was play as (goo) or (slime ) did it that way as a child ,,
Even used clear dippity doo hair gel ,, lol
I like playing or use to when I was there (per say ...

All natural kitty litter , is sterile full of mineral , that and a very light mixture of peroxide water
Not much bothers the seeds ,, good little sprouter containers those take out baked chicken container from the grocery ,, ( yes I play cheap with recycle materials) , otherwise known as garbage scowling ,, lol ^_^

Here's those sprouters again , a tiny little lemon tree honestly I do not know if this is ponderosa or meyer lemon , I took the last of them and had them together only one is still alive other seeds molded away ,) pooper , but one is one and I do not really have room for anymore than that .. indoor here ...

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2014

Post #9905742

Wow temps in the 60's here and rain due this afternoon, yeah!! But usually I hide during the hotter temps, or plant early in the day... this year I'm trying to keep an eye on those recently planted things and am watering them more.. but the front garden looks like a mess!!!! It desperately needs weeding and deadheading spent flowers if I want any further blooms this season. Last week we had the heat, this week it's cloudy cool and rainy...(which is my favorite), 'spose to get almost 2" here where I am today thru tomorrow.
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2014
1:29 PM

Post #9905838

Ju you're talking about the original kitty litter and not the clumping, deodorized, pine, extra light made from corn, fragrant, or clumping?

Sand is difficult for me to find locally and I'd like to use the kitty litter as a replacement.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2014
1:36 PM

Post #9905845

Shorty , this; the pic , Dollar store , non fragrant ,,

Be careful about mixing it with anything , even the non-clumping you can make modeling clay with , really !!!

Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2014
7:54 PM

Post #9906101

Thanks . I forgot about the Dollar store. We don't have them nearby but we do have 99 Cent stores around. I do my weekly shopping at PetSmart. Even my strays are picky about what they eat.

I know what you mean by making modeling clay.
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 30, 2014
10:58 AM

Post #9906468

Does anyone have experience germinating Yucca Baccata seeds?

I have a west facing front porch. The afternoon sun cooks everything I've planted. I'm thinking that I need to try succulents instead.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2014
1:38 PM

Post #9906582

Sweet, I'll be looking for that type of kitty litter while I'm out Friday. I also save all my disposable containers for germinating.. My hubs camaro was full of milk jugs and 2 liters this winter while I stockpiled for wintersowing, he didn't like it much but car didn't run so it was fair game in my book lol!!

Lemon looks good, mine did too until it became bug food like so many of my other plants this year. But I did find a pot with 5 individual Meyer lemon trees in it on clearance for 12 bucks at walmart last week, so I'm not too sad anymore :)

Shorty, I usually soak yucca seeds (never tried y. baccata) overnight, then sow lightly covered with soil. They're easy peasy if you soak them first.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2014
6:51 PM

Post #9906794

That is about as effective as anything I have used in a couple seasons , (kitty litter )
I am about to try some more for fall planting , Feverfew and mountain mint a few others I have lots of already ,
Picked some more seeds today Stella d oro seeds , a few not so interesting to most anymore .
Fleabane and feverfew bloom all season . that's neat for the Bees this year ..
I am cleaning around my thickets to mulch and reset , only giant tall plants seem to want to grow for me ,, I'm glad they do though ,,
More yarrow to try , and I really need to quit misplacing seeds I intend to grow ..lol it's a thing I guess ,
Foxglove did not bloom this year
I still have some Salix interior seedlings that are tiny in one sprouter , I have some bamboo grass seeds I was to try also ..
I want to I want to I want to ,, list is endless , lol I have to put a limit on myself , really I should , but , but , but ...????

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2014
3:56 AM

Post #9909771

WWK This is an Ammi I wanted you to see , not a strong grower as usual they are

See the red leaves almost ,? I will try a few hundred more in a tray and see what happens

Sometimes I can do off color leaves , but never learned how to do variegated ...

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2014
7:34 PM

Post #9910424

I never looked at mine to see if there was any red on the leaves... When was the pix taken? Just curious where did you get the seed? And Daucus and ammi are related... Daucus biennial, Ammi is annual.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2014
8:24 PM

Post #9910472

Hi Kathy Well the Daucus carota here is perennial .
by the bloom pattern I would guess I have three types , all vigorous ,
Most run from roots ,
These may have been no show seeds that came up in the feverfew , I have seen the plants do this , looking for the " gene " idea
As before , i was watching a full size red leaf complete called Ammi in an add from Europe ,,
Their available there , not here in the U.S.

I have a feeling it is because they are genetically Dye Coated ,, "do not reproduce true from seed ,,
I am learning about Dye Coating , or re-learning doing so from times past .. . (more Accurate ) Close but I have some guesses to make ,
Almost any plant can be made in a red leaf form , from what I understand ..
oh ? any ides on how to do Red Dye from Hopi Amaranth , I understand so far red dye#2 from Amaranth can be used in dye coating seeds ,, lol I have that too

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2014
8:26 PM

Post #9910473

oops the pic was taken today , yesterday now ,,

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2014
8:56 PM

Post #9910493

The reason I was wondering when the pix was taken, is sometimes when the cool weather is still about, leaves will change to a red shade around the edges. Hm... keep an eye on it and let me know what happens, just curious.. How tall? My Rubras are acting more like an annual, and 30-36" but narrow, not sure if they ever get any wider than 12-18"...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2014
9:29 PM

Post #9910512

In one of those pics , in the background you can see a larger leaf that is really red , not just the edges . my pic taking leaves some to be wanted lately There's no poison , harsh or different conditions where the plant is located ..
Yes it had for two weeks been cooler here , Past few days upper 80's easily making 90 in the sun .

I cut those back earlier this year , and their about a good two feet tall or a little more than that . Slightly over knee tal
I had a red leaf yarrow going that a grasshopper ate ,

We can't have the plant here anymore because it has invasive status , that really erks me ,, I can't have a colorful weed that is already here anyway ,, ? grrrr
So home boy brewing it is
Red Leaved plant are often done and happen when the organic cell dye gets into the seed cell , The seedling than reproduces the coloration cell from germination ..
Each individual plant then changes at seed time and they do not reproduce true seed .
It took four or five hundred plants to get that little red leaf on yarrow that a grasshopper got to ,,
Usually it takes me as many as three tray attempts of hundreds of seeds , to get a plant I want to keep that way , I do not know how to do variegated ,, But am onto something interesting anyway ,,lol
And yes , I have seen a lot of plants start to turn red from harsh lot or roadside conditions for those of you slickers lurking ,, Going what is with , we see red plants popping up out of concrete all the time ! lol ^_^

Hey Kathy , that is a lot of typing wind , just for (I have not seen any with red leaves before )
Strange , I almost get fixated anymore , from info playing with me ! ridiculous isn't it ??? lol ^_^

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2014
10:47 PM

Post #9910526

Ju you trip me out with all these new techniques. Keeps me busy googling and trying to keep up!
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
3:48 AM

Post #9910571

Yup, just got some new info today...thanks Ju!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
4:32 AM

Post #9910587

SWPD)Becky if you find anything interesting ? about plant or organic dye let me know ,,

Mipii Robin I am still trying to find out about the plant dye , Amaranth Red Dye #2 is illegal ,
and fluorescent organic cell dye is mostly for spectral infrared , (does not show visual to as a color )
So red Dye plant sunbaked in a solar type clear bottle in manure or compost natural salts and minerals , (home boy brew ) ( insane alchemy ) ^_^
only icky ooky , gucky , mucky ,, ewwww ,, like ,, really
lol ^_^

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2014
4:56 AM

Post #9910597

I actually fell asleep reading up about it last night! I couldn't find anything referencing dye-coating of seeds aside from the "crop protection" angle. Supposedly the dyes can be used to color code seeds that have been treated with fungicide, herbicide or insecticide. All boring, and I couldn't explain it any better than that. Lol

Anyway, couldn't find any of the fun stuff you mentioned! I like the idea of being able to change the pigment of a plant with application of a dye. Reminds me of the blue dye injected orchids that you see at the grocery store but cooler :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
5:29 AM

Post #9910614

It is not all complicated though , even food dye , if it could permeate the seed nucleus , the seed then produces that color as part of the growth process ,,
Dna -Rna that stuff ... I do not really understand it either though , The part about how ever many trays to get one ... says so , lol

They can see the fluorescent with a fluoroscope ,, the eye cannot see the color change that way though

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 5, 2014
6:37 AM

Post #9910693

This is interesting.
Can you explain exactly what you do, to obtain red leaves
on a plant, which normally has green leaves?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
7:13 AM

Post #9910747

CLScott) So far this is , started with sphagnum moss ,
Generally acidic ph mix ,
Red Amaranth dessicated
that is it
That by accident really is how I got the red leaf Yarrow (compost thing) , grasshopper destroyed it , Seeds are my own though ,,
if the plant had been a little larger it would of lived , I will try again .
Years ago , using an acidic plant hormone , I got a pink leaved orange tree , of 400 seeds . About that ,, I wish I could remember what the hormone was ,,

One out of three to six hundred seedlings that stay that way is all I get so far , not a success .
I am missing one or two , have a few more to try ,
I have been thinking about Rna and Dna as possible add in
possibly nucleic acid ,
The way I play , I am not a professional at plants .
Trying for possibly something that will soak in to seed start) using nitrogen , without destroying the chemical (natural) element structure (cell , dye, etc)

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2014
8:47 AM

Post #9910807

Well in that case, you could use the Hopi red dye amaranth (liquid form of course) as a soak and hope it permeates through to the nucleus. Imagine the colors you could produce.. I'd love to see pics of the results if there are any to be found.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2014
12:47 PM

Post #9910977

Yes, interesting. Didn't realize we had a genetasist (sp? oops sorry). I love for you to tell us more, and would love to see pix including anything that makes it to adulthood and their progeny.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
4:27 PM

Post #9911115

As soon as I get my seeds together I have some yarrow to try , A few pots are not as likely to yield results ,
So far, that Daucas above is it as far as pics ,
I did have the yarrow on a forum last season ,
As said I play , I enjoy it , (you all have the years of experience , to know , it takes , time , sometimes it works , sometimes not,
This comes from things I gave up at , but never really did give up ,,
I am happy to read though , about those of you that found that interesting .
I don't always say what I find interesting around the threads ,only a lot of you talk about things around here reminded me about some of this .

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
7:10 PM

Post #9911195

WWK, Kathy if I was actually doing Genetics ? lol,, Everyone would probably look like the Dwarfs from sleeping Beauty or the Card People from Alice In Wonderland !!!^_^

mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2014
7:28 PM

Post #9911202

juhur you crack me up. Keep on experimenting!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2014
7:47 PM

Post #9911219

not very large tiny just germinated ,, Bamboo carea fargesia ..
pic just above center, center left , and lower left corner ,, root , tiny showing ,, Hope , hope hope ,,
mlmlakestevens , only keeping it light , a little fun ,,

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2014
7:34 PM

Post #9914240

Bamboo from seed? Might have to try that sometime. Shoot I didn't even know bamboo produced seed! Lol

Finally got a chance to sow some of my most coveted seeds from various trades. I'd been waiting til the veggie garden let up a little, and freed up some time to baby these guys. I did one cell each of forty different varieties. Multiple seeds in each cell so I'll be separating and potting up some extras for our local roundup this fall. Here's what I started:

Achillea millefolium; Yarrow 'Rose'
Aloe maculata; Soap aloe
Amelanchier alnifolia; Saskatoon serviceberry
Angelica gigas; Korean angelica
Aruncus aesthusifolius; Korean goats beard
Asclepias curassavica; Mexican milkweed 'Silky deep red'
Asclepias incarnata; Swamp milkweed
Asclepias syriaca; common milkweed
Astilbe; False spirea (pink)
Baptisia australis; False indigo
Brugmansia; Angels trumpet 'Moonlight'
Brugmansia; Angels trumpet 'Painted lady'
Caesalpinia pulcherrima; Pride of Barbados (orange)
Caesalpinia pulcherrima; Pride of Barbados 'Phoenix' (yellow)
Calia secundiflora; Texas mountain laurel
Canna x generalis; 'Black knight'
Canna musifolia; Banana canna
Clematis, small flowered 'Rooguchi'
Clerodendrum trichotomium; Peanut butter shrub
Echinops ritro; Globe thistle
Echium wildpretti; Tower of jewels
Elaeganus; Goumi
Erythrina herbacea; Coral bean
Hesperaloe parviflora; False yucca, yellow flowered
Lemon 'Ponderosa'
Leucanthemum x superbum; Shasta daisy 'Victorian secret'
Lonicera periclymenum; Honeysuckle 'Serotina'
Melampodium leucanthemum; Blackfoot daisy
Millettia reticulata; Evergreen wisteria
Mimosa tree (NO ID)
Parkinsonia aculeata; Palo Verde
Phoenix dactylifera; Date palm 'Medjool'
Plumeria (NO ID pink)
Poncirus trifoliata; Trifoliate orange 'Flying Dragon'
Punica granatum; Pomegranate
Puya alpestris; Sapphire tower
Rhododendron Cumberlandense; Cumberland azalea
Rubus leucodermis; Blackcap raspberry
Rudbeckia maxima; Cabbage leaf coneflower
Senna alata; Candle bush
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2014
8:30 PM

Post #9914267

Brugmansia! Echium! Puya!
I need to move!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 10, 2014
4:12 AM

Post #9914351

A very impressive list!
I have never seen some of those!
Keep us posted on how they sprout and grow.
Caroline
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2014
8:16 AM

Post #9914531

Looking forward to your success Becky! Your list is sumptuous.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2014
10:19 AM

Post #9914610

LOL yes most of the seeds came out of a bag I had labeled "Dying to start!", but I hadn't the time or space to go forward with them. I'm very excited about them and will post pics as they germ.

And Mipii, thanks so much for the great seeds you side traded me during the robin.. The Cumberland azalea, date palm, honeysuckle, blackcap raspberry and clerodendrum are all just from you! :D
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2014

Post #9914643

I didn't know azaleas produced seeds. Mine started blooming again last month and still have quite a few new buds. I'll have to check it for seeds.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2014
6:19 PM

Post #9914918

Your welcome Becky, thanks for all your goodies too. I now know what seed heaven feels like, lol!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2014
6:24 PM

Post #9914921

SWPD Becky I read that list thinking WOW !!! ^_^
Good Going .. !!!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2014
10:42 PM

Post #9915081

Yup, impressed here too. And excited for you Becky! I'll be on the lookout for your photos.

I have just such a 'stack' of seed packets too, lol.

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2014
11:30 AM

Post #9917201

Shorty, I've never grown azaleas before, but they supposedly form seed pods after spent blooms drop so start checking them out after blooms fade.

Yes Robin, we are in seed heaven and I'm a total pig -- already getting worked up with anticipation for the next robin! Hope it can fly without any layovers next time ;)

So far, I have sprouts of coral bean (soaked in water 2 days), pride of Barbados 'Phoenix', and mimosa tree.

Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt   Thumbnail by StillPlaysWDirt      

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2014
1:57 PM

Post #9918038

Excellent work, Becky. Thanks for sharing.

mimlakestevens ~ Really? I guess we all have zone envy from time to time. I am looking for a place with cooler summers.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2014
6:31 PM

Post #9918272

My envy is of areas that have roundups. Maybe once you've found your place up here Evelyn there'll be enough of us!

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2014
6:34 PM

Post #9918275

Thanks Evelyn! Having a lot of fun playing in the - um - starting mix ;)

Trust I have major zone envy of everyone right now. Ground is dry as dust here, and grass is crisp beneath my feet. A few neighbors wells are running dry and I'm in stage 2 drought so not allowed to use city water for outdoor irrigation. It sucks. Royally. I plan on keeping these guys indoors this winter and praying for an end to this drought next spring when I can plant them!

Sorry no more Debbie Downer from me, okay?? 😜

Seeds are germinating slowly but surely. The latest to say hello are asclepias syriaca, echinops ritro, yellow hesperaloe parviflora, and plumeria. I'm a proud mama!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2014
6:43 PM

Post #9918284

You should be proud! Let us hope that the appearance of new green, bit by bit, will bring back the moisture.
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 14, 2014
8:29 PM

Post #9918354

Over the past two weeks I've germinated amaryllis seeds in water and a few nasturtium. Actually I only had five nasturtium seeds from the robin. I direct sowed four of which three germinated and one was trampled by an animal. The lonely one in this picture is going in my front yard.

I'm really excited about the amaryllis as I received them from someone in China. I just wish it didn't take so many years for them to produce flowers.

My plumeria seeds didn't make it. I'm making a boat now to try to float them to germinate.

Thanks for the info Becky. My azalea is really confused blooming this time of the year.

Thumbnail by Shorty_CA   Thumbnail by Shorty_CA         

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2014
1:15 PM

Post #9919572

Oh turtles, I hope so!

Good job shorty! Here I didn't been know amaryllis set seeds! I wana to try nasturtiums this year too, were they hard to start? I remember seeing a vining one that caught my eye..

Also the plumeria germinated quick for me in its little cell of seed starter mix, barely covered with soil, lightly moistened and under lights. Room temp is about 75. Hope this helps, but I'd like to hear about your floating technique if it works. I've seen people do that before and it looks easy peasy :)

Had a few more sprouts yesterday: aloe maculata, senna alata, and am particularly excited that the ECHIUM sprouted!!!! Yayyyy I feel like doing a happy dance! 😄💃🎶🎉

Now if I can get the puya and clerodendrum to sprout, I'll be the happiest girl in the world!!

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2014
1:50 PM

Post #9919603

Let's see the happy dance :~D !

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2014
12:02 PM

Post #9953936

Well I'm cleaning up , saying goodbye to this growing season , only a few successes for me this season ,
I did a terrible job with my seeds ,, more to try though ,
My white coneflowers ae going in the ground for winter
ice plants coming into a green tank ,,
one small goji also the tank .
my palm and the lemon wents over a died ,
My only success in that catagory is one small albea carea Bamboo plant and it is tiny ,,

As always a few plants I don't know , lost id , I will try and pot and set those in the ground ,,
lots of easy annuals did very nicely ,,
my garden ran away from me this year ,, whole vegie garden is covered by Bean vines ,,
my motivation has been hiding from me ,, lol
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 7, 2014
11:23 PM

Post #9954874

Wow, reading about preparing for winter is so strange for me. While we've had a heat wave the last several days normal temperatures are still in the high 70's to low 80's during October.

All of my flower beds are a disaster and my seed projects all failed. My mom had a massive heart attack on 9/5 and passed on 9/25. I've got weeds that are bigger than my plants.

Motivation is a problem for me too.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 8, 2014
5:20 AM

Post #9954932

It is difficult to stay motivated on gardening tasks when there
are other things going on in your life.

But there is always next year with gardening.
I have started to plan for next year's garden, and ordered most of the seeds that I will need.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2014
8:59 AM

Post #9955125

So, so sorry you lost your Mom Shorty, I can well imagine how that kind of trauma wicks every ounce of motivation a body could have for everyday chores. Losing a loved one is a huge life adjustment, I wish you well through this critical time of grief.
Robin
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2014
3:43 AM

Post #9988040

Time to start a new thread for 2015:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1382767/

See you there!

Pam

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America