Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Barnacle looking things on plant stems?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tatyana929
Richmond, CA

July 6, 2014
12:20 PM

Post #9886930

Hello, does anyone have experience with this? These brown bumps are on this plant and also all over my fava bean stems. What is it and what can I treat or prevent it with? ( I prefer not to use pesticides or chemicals).

THANK YOU.

Thumbnail by Tatyana929
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 6, 2014
3:25 PM

Post #9887086

Never seen this before and can only assume it's Animal as in, something maybe laid eggs along the stems. OR disease carried by animal or wind.
Before you do anything, why don't you wear gloves, remove one of the bumps, place on paper and squash it, this will tell you if it's an insect inside or a GALL from some form of plant disease.

There certainly appear to be a lot of it whatever it is and I would also suggest IF it's some disease after you inspect it, then I would prune the stems right back to below the lowest black / brown Gall, burn the stems to prevent these spores / galls from spreading.

Maybe I'm way off track here BUT I give the treatment I would be doing, others may come in here with personal experience of this and give better advice.
Best OF Luck.
WeeNel.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 6, 2014
5:20 PM

Post #9887178

Looks like a scale insect.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2014
5:57 PM

Post #9887210

Black scale.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74160.html

Most scale have a life cycle like this:

The adults mate.
The female keeps the eggs under her shell.
Eggs hatch, babies called CRAWLERS emerge from under the mother's shell.
Crawlers may do any of several things, but the end result is they are away from the parents.
Crawlers eat, grow, then develop a shell.

The shell is hard and waxy, most pesticides cannot get past it.

You need to spray the plants when the crawlers are migrating to control this.
When they are not protected by the shell most scale can be killed by even the less toxic things, but you might want to do some research to be sure. (The link is to the UC Davis IPM information) If they live long enough to make a shell you have to use stronger poison from inside the plant.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 7, 2014
9:23 AM

Post #9887706

Never had a sighting of these here, and so glad you gave the help you did Diana, it's just always great when you get new info, especially when you've been gardening for years, just show you Diana, there no such thing as a know all LOL.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2014
6:58 PM

Post #9888225

I try not to be a 'know it all', but there are some things I do know, and the scales native to (or have invaded) this part of CA are pretty easy to ID. I can usually get pretty close, then a quick google to be sure.

UC Davis has the best Integrated Pest Management database and information site that I know of for plants, both agricultural and ornamental. I link it a lot.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 10, 2014
6:44 AM

Post #9890122

Thanks again, always very informative for sure.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America