Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Newspaper Over top direct sown seeds to prevent weeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snorie797
Rudolph, OH

July 7, 2014
10:19 AM

Post #9887759

I direct sown some seeds into my garden a few days ago. And i always have issues with weeds. I have used newspaper before to prevent weeds from coming up with plants i had started indoors then planted out. But my question is are bean seeds, and other vegetable seeds strong enough to push through newspaper? Most weed seeds germinate on top of the soil, whereas most other vegetable seeds are planted beneath the ground. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Laura

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 7, 2014
11:36 PM

Post #9888335

Hi Laura,
If the newspaper is wet, the sprouted seeds may make it through newspaper.

What I would do is cut a circle just large enugh for the size of the seed, then plant the seed in the hole.

I live in Wyoming with clay soil so never direct sow even veggie seeds. I used to when I lived in Massachusetts.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 10, 2014
5:03 PM

Post #9890506

Think of the logic.. if the newspaper is supposed to keep the weed seeds from surviving once sprouted, why would it be a good thing for the seedlings you're trying to grow?
If you're set on using the newspaper, I'd agree that cutting holes or strips for the sown seeds would be a good idea.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2014 5:08 PM

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2014
2:20 PM

Post #9891102

Another thing that helps is to disturb/ cultivate/ rake - or better yet, just scrape the surface - of the soil in your planting area just before you plant. It keeps weed seeds that were already there from getting a head start on your seeds. Or do this after your seeds sprout and then put you paper down.
If you want to put the paper down first, I wouldn't count on your seeds pushing through. I would leave a hole or slit for them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America