Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: do thinned carrots recover?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 8, 2014
12:50 PM

Post #9888857

I thinned a bunch of carrots and the replanted ones are drooping. I am trying to give a little water each day it does not rain. I will post the sad pics presently.

HeatherY

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2014
1:23 PM

Post #9888893

carrots, like a lot of root crops are not usually a veggie that can handle such things. when they are young, it is suggested to just compost the thinnings, if they are larger, just wash and munch on them.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2014
4:57 PM

Post #9889019

Ditto. They do not tolerate transplanting very well at all.

Suggestion: Make a wider band, not a thin strip. If the band is perhaps 6" wide and 2' long you can scatter the seed better, so it needs less thinning. Then you are not wasting the seed. A few weeks later do another 6" x 2' worth, for a later harvest. Repeat until frost might stop the seeds from sprouting.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

July 10, 2014
3:34 PM

Post #9890455

Thanks folks. I think I will try to dig up the larger ones I tried to transplant for eating, plant more for a fall harvest of baby carrots, and forget the rest.
This time I will sit with a pair of scissors and cut apart the tiny seeds embedded in paper and plant each tiny seed in a seperate cardboard egg carton "planter" for sprouting and pit them in the ground about six inches apart. I can't wait for the exact good moment to thin - I always miss it.I am always finding myself pulling apart the entwined roots past the point when I should have thinned em. Good thing some got left in the exact spots where I started them - these leaves are still green!
Heather

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9890522

You do not have to buy seed tape. Just get loose seeds and blend them with sand. Then scatter the sand and seed blend. That ought to spread them far enough apart.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2014
5:16 PM

Post #9890525

if you can, perhaps look for carrot seeds that have been "pelleted", basically coated in inert materials to make them large enough to individually handle.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2014
10:02 PM

Post #9890694

You also don't have to thin them by pulling them out which can damage what is left behind. I have read that if you take a pair of tiny scissors and cut off the ones you don't want you don't run the risk of disturbing the roots and the cut ones won't continue to grow!

Somewhere I found an article on making your own seed tape using a water soluble glue like flour and water and paper towels, newspaper strips, or napkins. Seemed like a great indoor winter activity. Never tried it because we travel a lot during the winter but I would like to sometime. I hate replanting after heavy rainstorms like we have been having this week. The seed strips help avoid that. Here is a synopsis of that method I just found:

Use thin paper towels, napkins (one-ply) - (fast food napkins work well), strips of newspaper. Label your paper towel, etc. with the name of the seeds you plan to put on it.

Mix flour and water into a thick paste. (Optional) Put the flour paste in a tiny little 'baby bottle' which is actually made to put on cakes for baby showers.

You can place the paper towel on a tea towel that has stripes in the material to keep the lines of seeds straight. Mark seed placement with a marker, placing a dot where you want each seed, following the spacing directions on the seed packet. Be sure to protect your work surface, because the ink may bleed through! See below for alternative marking procedure!

Place dots of mixture along paper towel on each dot.

Sprinkle a few seeds onto a dry surface, spreading them out slightly. Dampen a toothpick with a little water and use it to pick up a seed, placing one to three seeds on each glue spot. (More than one seed assures better germination rate) ***Note!! Don't get glue on your toothpick, or the seeds will stick to it and not the mat.!!

Lay your seed mat out to dry. If the glue seeps through the napkin, hang it over a clothes rack to dry.
Roll up and store.
In the garden, amend your bed and level the soil surface with a garden rake. Lay the mats on top and sprinkle a bit of compost or garden soil onto each mat to keep them in place. (You can make a 50/50 mixture of compost and organic garden soil.) Once all of the mats are laid down, fill with enough soil to achieve the appropriate sowing depth. Advantage to this method: your seeds won’t tend to wash away from your desired spot with a heavy rain. Water thoroughly.

Plant and cover with light soil.
Two or three days after the first seeds have sprouted, fill in any germination gaps with fresh seed.

Alternative Glue Mixtures:

1. Make a thin slurry of cornstarch and seeds, then spread on paper towels, toilet paper, etc. Cover with a second sheet of paper and then cut into long strips (1 - 1 ˝” wide for drying.

2. Ordinary white glue on strips of newspaper. It dries quickly yet is water soluble for when you bury it in the garden late

*Alternative Marking Procedure:
Unfold your napkin. On your napkin, using a ruler and pen, make a series of evenly spaced points. The space between these points will be dictated by the type of crop you are sowing. To give you an idea, most baby salad crops can be spaced 2 square inches apart (2 in by 1 in). Carrots and radishes can by spaced 4 square inches apart (2 in by 2 in). Spinach, many Asian greens, turnips, beets, smaller-head varieties of lettuce can be spaced 16 square inches apart (4 in by 4 in). In fact, these seed mats are best for any crop that you can direct sow and space 6 inches apart or less.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America