Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: Strange Sound from Attic: Exterminator Stumped

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BugsinmyAttic
Cameron Park, CA

July 9, 2014
9:06 PM

Post #9889939

I have a sound coming from my attic which sounds like a sort of reverberating buzzing. I've included a link to the sound file below. The exterminator looked around up there, but he couldn't find any sign of any problem, and (of course) the sound did not occur while he was here. It happens at all times a day, and it can go on continuously. The sound file is very mild. Sometimes, it gets very loud and sounds like many different buzzings.

Does anyone recognize it?

[HYPERLINK@drive.google.com]
greene33
Vernonburg, GA

July 10, 2014
1:44 PM

Post #9890374

To my ears it sounds like a house fly.
BugsinmyAttic
Cameron Park, CA

July 10, 2014
5:44 PM

Post #9890547

We have now also had the furnace guy out to check all the equipment. No sound while he was here, and he could not find any mechanical issues. The sound on the sound file was recorded through a wall, and it sometimes sounds like there are quite a few different ones. Could that really be houseflies? Do they nest like that?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2014
3:38 PM

Post #9891158

could be mud daubers. they often make a sound like that when they're building their nests.
BugsinmyAttic
Cameron Park, CA

July 11, 2014
7:31 PM

Post #9891333

After viewing this video ([HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]), I agree and am convinced this must be some kind of wasp nesting in my attic or walls. I've set out two traps, and I'll scout around the roof and attic tomorrow to see if the exterminator missed something.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2014
5:52 AM

Post #9891523

when the daubers construct a mud nest, it can be fairly long and large. while they're inside the nest, putting on the finishing touches or laying their eggs, the sound reverberates and can sound very odd if you're not used to it. luckily, they are harmless to your home other than being unsightly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America