Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: Coincidence - two wild-sown seedlings

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

cinemike

cinemike
CREZIERES
France
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2014
8:30 AM

Post #9890194

This picture shows a close-up of a planter that I made for the edge of my courtyard (one of seven). It has some cannas in it and some cosmos for a jolly summer display.
However, if you look at the lower part of the photo, you will see two wild-sown seedlings that look to be the same type of plant. These arrived there by their seeds being in the compost that I had used to fill the planter. They look as if they had been planted symmetrically, don't they? Of course, the seeds were not in the compost by design - just got mixed in with seed table sweepings or some such.
Even stranger - they are not the same plants - not even the same genus, even though they look so similar. The one onf the left is a hybrid (grown from a seed) potato. The on the right is a Datura innoxia. Ok, both Solanaceae, but still a strange coincidence.

Thumbnail by cinemike
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wifeygirl
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2014
8:20 AM

Post #9893290

How funny! They totally look planned!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America