Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Mini Royal Cherry

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
waterwise999
San Francisco, CA

July 11, 2014
10:27 AM

Post #9890980

Hi, this is my first tree but it had some problems with it so I appreciate if I can get any helps. I have been looking for answer for a more than a month now but couldn't solve it.

This is a low-chill Mini Royal Cherry I planted in late February this year in San Francisco where temperature is very mild. There is no rainfall from May to October. Last month I noticed that the tree stopped growing and I spotted that the most new shoots were wilted (see picture). There are multiple brown spots on some leaves. The closest problem I found was Cherry Leaf Spot but its symptom doesn't not include wilted shoots. What I'm afraid the most is Verticillium Wilt. I started spraying baking soda yesterday as you can see the white spots on leaves. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any helps.

Thumbnail by waterwise999   Thumbnail by waterwise999   Thumbnail by waterwise999   Thumbnail by waterwise999   Thumbnail by waterwise999
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 14, 2014
3:03 PM

Post #9893686

I hate to be the barer of Bad news BUT the pictures appear to show the tree is suffering from Fruit tree Canker, it can attack Apple Pears, Cherry, and other fruit tree's.

I know of no chemical that can deal with this and no home made solutions either, Years ago I was told there was a wash you could use to paint onto the affected branches ect BUT I honestly don't know a name for such.
You tree already looks very badly damaged by this and you should burn any leaf or branches that fall, wash your hands after touching the tree as this canker, as far as I know is spread by wind, touch and animal.

There is a thought thank trees set in wet soil is more susceptible to this so maybe look at this,

You never mentioned how much you watered the young tree within the hot drier months where there is intense heat as these conditions alone are a strain on any young trees, another way and better way to water newly planted trees is to sink a clear plastic empty juice container into the planting hole, cut the bottom off the container, and place into the soil close to the roots, leave an inch or so above the soil line, when you water the tree, you fill the container up a few times and this allows the water to go right down to the roots where the water is most needed. IT a way of feeding any tree's of larger shrubs too. When you soak the water around the tree, this evaporates and can cause humidity to dampen the leaves, allows water to lie on some branches, and this alone is a breading ground for fungal diseases, Cankers and other air-born problems.
I would get back in touch with the people you bought the tree from as this disease did not start yesterday, it may have arrived on the tree when you took possession,
Lastly I would tell you to watch out for other tree's as it is air-born. a slight breeze can spread it way beyond your garden.
Maybe give a call to your local agent in the environment department because I feel quite sure your not alone with this disease.

Best Regards.
WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2014
6:52 PM

Post #9893875

I would give it a chance. Deep soak, make sure it stays well watered without being too wet.
The weather has been up and down a bit in the SF Bay Area, with several days of heat followed by colder than usual weather.

So you will have to watch the soil and water when it needs it. Do not let it wilt. Wilting is a sign that it needs more water.

The leaf spots look like something that scraped away a bit of the leaf surface. Some bugs can do that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America