Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mcig123
Woodstock, MD

July 15, 2014
5:25 AM

Post #9894036

Twice now I have attempted to grow Hens and Chicks from pieces of plants given to me by friends. Every time they end up dying. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am not over-watering and my attempts are done during the summer when plants can be outside in the sun. I have the plants in a clay pot with good drainage. I keep the soil mostly dry with just a little moisture from the rain. Can anyone help?

Thumbnail by mcig123
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2014
6:02 AM

Post #9894073

Just starting one, myself. (Mine is one with 'webbing' connecting the leaves)
All the other succulents my friend gave me have little roots already. Not this! Am about to try some rooting hormone.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2014 5:03 AM
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2014
9:15 AM

Post #9894257

I've managed to root succulents by keeping the soil lightly moist, but just barely. I have a pup form an unidentified(I'll refer to the identification forum for that)Succulent that had no roots when I cut it off. After tossing it into a cactus soil mix, it rooted very easily. I would give that a shot,since the any roots trying to grow will dry up in the soil. Just be sure to keep the soil moist, but not dry or soaked.
Best of luck!
-Bloomfly
cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 15, 2014
9:30 AM

Post #9894271

Try mixing some sand with potting soil in the container for the chicks and hens and they will do well , I just made this container one week ago and they are outside on my picnic table , I just watered it when I put them in the container .

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 15, 2014
9:40 AM

Post #9894280

Mine grow in pot's as were too cool here in winter, the way I do it is almost by neglect, I mix some shop compost for seeds or bulbs, both are different I know but I then add some sand, AND a handful of small grit OR gravel, not larger particles though.
Mix this all together and sit in the pot, Take some of the gravel and lay this on the surface of the soil and then water, leave to allow the pot to drain.
Next use a pencil or something like that, a small dibber is fine, make a small hole into the soil wriggle the pencil about to gently push the small gravel away from the hole edges, pop the little pup / plantlet into this and gently use pencil to close the soil AND bring the small gravel up under the pup, the gravel keeps the flesh dry and from sitting into the dampened or wet soil, and believe me, they have roots growing within a few weeks.
Don't wet the greenery as it rots the little plants, I normally get maybe 5-6 of these little pups per pot, a shallow pot is better than a tall one as the shallow ones require less depth of soil,
therefore the soil will drain faster too. I only water when the little plants look like they are becoming limp.
Give this a try and see how you get on, even when a few pups fall out from an over crowded pot, I stick them back on top of the small gravel and they find there own way to the soil as the gravel is not deep.
Hope this helps you out.
best Regards.
WeeNel.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 15, 2014
11:30 AM

Post #9894359

Lighten the soil with sand or Perlite and keep moist until they show signs of growing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America