AuthorContent

Lyndsay3228

Lyndsay3228
Osgoode
Canada

July 15, 2014
12:03 PM

Post #9894372

I have a raised veggie garden with great soil. I planted my cucumber seeds very close together (along a 20' row backed with a 6' trellis for vertical growth. I did thin them, but they looked great so I only thinned them to approx. 4-6inches apart. They still appear to be healthy...although some are way ahead of others (different varieties mind you). Should I be fertilizing with my miracle grow for tomatoes (18-18-21)? ALSO, should I thin further apart or will they produce the maximum? As well, I sowed the same variety in a large container (75% black earth 25% well rotted manure)...the container plants are double if not triple the size of those planted in my raised bed. Why would this be?
I LOOK FORWARD TO ADVICE FROM A MORE EXPERIENCED GREEN THUMBER

Thumbnail by Lyndsay3228   Thumbnail by Lyndsay3228   Thumbnail by Lyndsay3228   Thumbnail by Lyndsay3228   Thumbnail by Lyndsay3228
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 15, 2014
12:51 PM

Post #9894404

Hi Lyndsay3228, I have noticed the same thing with my cucumber plants in the garden bed . One is taking off and the other plant is slower , but eventually they will catch up. I use 10 10 10 fertilizer and spray fish emulsion on all my veggies and they do well . I do not use MG on veggies I just use it on flowers.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2014
3:55 PM

Post #9894553

Ask yourself what is different between the container and the vegie beds. One thing that many people do not think about is the temperature difference. A container can warm up earlier if it is in a sunny spot, so perhaps the Cucumbers got going just a bit better or earlier in that container. Or they benefitted when they were young when the container warmed up earlier in the day.

I know my Cukes just sort of sit there if I do not keep them warm.

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2014
7:10 PM

Post #9896301

Good looking garden & technique. Looks like the cuck in the container has had more in the way of nitrate (manure). Looks like it has more vine/leaf growth and a darker green. The cuck's in the raised bed have not had the nitrate, are a little light in color and they are small, but already blooming. Maybe they received more of the black earth and less of the rotted manure.

I would leave the cuck's 4-6 inches apart since they are going to climb.

You also mentioned different varieties. Could be the ones in the pot is a different variety than the ones in bed.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2014
6:09 PM

Post #9907522

Cukes do best with neglect and too much nitrogen does grow more tops and less fruits, If a plant is over tended it is less apt to protect itself by producing fruits, Most veggies were once weeds and can thrive in the most horrid conditions. Such ad healthy thriving untended tomatoes in the white rock of old lots- or peppers in the gravel

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EMG29VT
EAST WALLINGFORD, VT

August 5, 2014
7:04 AM

Post #9910735

Cukes are fussy. They need warm soil, with a pH neutral to slightly alkaline. The soil must stay warm at night, above 60 degrees. The soil should be rich, but well drained.
I planted 4 cuke seeds one month ago from today's date, on July 5th for those mathmatically challenged.
The cukes are growing in a raised bed that is 22 1/2" by 22 1/2", with about 9" of soil depth. Yesterday I counted 14 baby cukes starting to grow, with neither a flower nor a honey bee in sight!
You suggest there may be trickery involved?
Sure ... Bio-char and Lactic Acid Bacteria, both of which I make myself. Google can help. Very low cost, very big results. Seed choice is also important. Think parthenocarpic.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 8, 2014
12:40 PM

Post #9913183

I never have any luck growing Cucumbers along side Tomatoe's, it like with companion planting, they don't make good bed fellow's,
I was told why they don't get on many years ago BUT, as for now, cant remember, something to do with the tomato's give off something the cucumbers don't like, OH well brain dead is better than being just dead LOL.

I begin to feed my tomato's and cucumbers soon as the flower appear, half strength once per week till the fruits begin to form, then full strength twice per week BUT I grow mine indoors in greenhouse, toooooo short and unpredictable season.

Maybe this can help you out.
Good luck.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America