I was ever so lucky to receive some seeds for 2 different Dianthus plants. Now since it is Mid July should I wait to start them next spring? I'm in zone 8A and our summers generally start right after 4th of July and ends about end of Sept or early Oct. I don't want to get ahead of myself as one of the varieties on has a couple seeds so I don't want to lose them because I planted wrong.
The varieties are : Bath's Pink Dianthus and Firewitch Dianthus.
I only planted a few plants outside that I started (Hollyhock and a couple Columbine varieties) Most are still inside in pots w/ soil. I'm new to gardening as all my gardens went to weeds for years. So I'm back and wanting everything to grow LOL. I'm impatient things aren't growing fast enough LOL
Both those varieties are perennials, so I would go ahead and start them now. They should live for several years. You might have to protect them their first winter. For example, if you have the space you might grow them through the winter in the house in a well lit window and plant them out after the danger of frost has passed next spring. They will probably reach the size of a 1 gallon can by then, and will be ready to bloom, or even already blooming.
Thank you everyone. I have started the plants in peat pods and those are in a tray with a see through lid on them. Once they sprout I'll take them out and let them get a little bigger then I'll transplant into pots and then set the pots outside in shade for several days then move them to sun. Since there were only a couple of the one variety I want to protect it as much as possible. I already have the spot in the garden I want them to live in LOL