Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: should I plant these seeds now or wait?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Foofsmom
Kendall, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2014
1:06 PM

Post #9894413

I was ever so lucky to receive some seeds for 2 different Dianthus plants. Now since it is Mid July should I wait to start them next spring? I'm in zone 8A and our summers generally start right after 4th of July and ends about end of Sept or early Oct. I don't want to get ahead of myself as one of the varieties on has a couple seeds so I don't want to lose them because I planted wrong.

The varieties are : Bath's Pink Dianthus and Firewitch Dianthus.

I only planted a few plants outside that I started (Hollyhock and a couple Columbine varieties) Most are still inside in pots w/ soil. I'm new to gardening as all my gardens went to weeds for years. So I'm back and wanting everything to grow LOL. I'm impatient things aren't growing fast enough LOL

Thanks

Foofsmom
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2014
3:50 PM

Post #9894551

Both those varieties are perennials, so I would go ahead and start them now. They should live for several years. You might have to protect them their first winter. For example, if you have the space you might grow them through the winter in the house in a well lit window and plant them out after the danger of frost has passed next spring. They will probably reach the size of a 1 gallon can by then, and will be ready to bloom, or even already blooming.
Foofsmom
Kendall, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2014
4:46 PM

Post #9894581

THANK YOU so much. Would make me crazy to wait but I would have LOL. I am so excited now.

Foofsmom
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 16, 2014
8:48 PM

Post #9895645

Diana_K wrote:You might have to protect them their first winter.

Begging to differ... hardy plants have hardy seedlings. If it were not so, plants would simply not have the ranges that they do.
Foofsmom
Kendall, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2014
8:53 AM

Post #9895926

Thank you everyone. I have started the plants in peat pods and those are in a tray with a see through lid on them. Once they sprout I'll take them out and let them get a little bigger then I'll transplant into pots and then set the pots outside in shade for several days then move them to sun. Since there were only a couple of the one variety I want to protect it as much as possible. I already have the spot in the garden I want them to live in LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America