Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: I cannot identify what this bug is! Can anyone here?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
froghairs
Lemmon Valley-Golden, NV
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2014
3:14 PM

Post #9894529

I have been searching for at least a week to try and identify what these critters are. About a hundred of these showed up first thing in the morning on our front porch. Then they were gone by the next day. Makes me think they hatched. They were not flying. They were climbing up the door and house. Crawling across the concrete. And just sitting there. Very calmly. I live in Northern Nevada. At the base of the mountains and the edge of the desert. It was about 90* that day. We are drought stricken. But I water everyday. I have gardens! Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Also if it is dangerous? It did not appear to be aggressive. It does not look like a termite. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1368460/#ixzz37ZreW8JZ

Thumbnail by froghairs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2014
3:24 PM

Post #9894532

I'm guessing that it is some species of metallic woodborer beetle, perhaps a Charcoal Beetle. Someone far more knowledgeable, such as Flapdoodle, will be along to weigh in.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 15, 2014
7:13 PM

Post #9894697

When I first saw this, I thought that it would be a Chrysobothris sp., but now the more I look, the less certain I am - may have to do some more digging on this one...
froghairs
Lemmon Valley-Golden, NV
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2014
8:37 AM

Post #9900135

Thank you! I cannot find it anywhere that I search. I am sure you have better sources than I do but I seriously gave it an endless reach! I am concerned that it may lead to trouble. Or perhaps an infestation. At this point they have not returned. That could be due to some metamorphosis or whatever you would call it for this species or because they are eating the house! Lol...eek!

Mostly, I know my bugs! I know my flowers! My weeds, my rocks, I don't know this beetle...
If there is further need to know or for just my curiosity,
Thank you so much!

Let me know if you need further clues!
Tricia
froghairs
Lemmon Valley-Golden, NV
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2014
8:25 AM

Post #9903452

Flapdoodle,
Have you found any other information on this bug? I have also asked at the best nursery in town. They too are searching because they don't know on first sight. He was very surprised. What IS this thing??? Why is it so hard to identify??? It makes me even more curious!

Thank you for your help!!!
Tricia
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

July 27, 2014
9:33 AM

Post #9904072

Here's one possibility, I believe that greenthumb99 was on the right track -
http://eol.org/pages/3222751/hierarchy_entries/46387737/overview

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America