Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Potentilla

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RandyZ
Moose Jaw
Canada

July 15, 2014
7:48 PM

Post #9894737

Not really about flowers but rather shrubs, Potentilla in particular. We planted some about 7 yrs ago & they are healthy & growing but to the wife's total disappointment they do not flower & in their 7 yrs have not had more than 3 or 4 flowers per yr & yet if we go to a greenhouse theirs are covered with flowers. We can't seem to find out what the problem is. Help!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 15, 2014
9:02 PM

Post #9894761

Are they planted in the sun? Have they been allowed to form a natural shape, that is, the not sheared? What cultivars do you have?
RandyZ
Moose Jaw
Canada

July 19, 2014
8:40 AM

Post #9897548

These shrubs are in full sun. Were not trimmed not trimmed for first 3 yrs but do get trimmed now. They have 2 potentilas of a different variety right beside them which are full of flowers. Cultivars???

Thumbnail by RandyZ   Thumbnail by RandyZ         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

RandyZ
Moose Jaw
Canada

July 24, 2014
7:16 PM

Post #9902355

Any more ideas out there regarding these too stubborn to flower potentilas? I'm at the point of digging them out & planting something with more colour than green. See the pics.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 24, 2014
9:15 PM

Post #9902423

So the larger non-blooming ones are the ones that get trimmed? At what time of year are you trimming them? The flower buds are at the ends of the branches, and I suspect they are being cut off in the trimming. No other reason why they wouldn't be blooming, as potentillas are flower machines with only the most minimal care.

My advice would be to quit pruning them and let them take on a natural shape again - they'll look much better and I strongly suspect they'll bloom then. If letting the larger ones grow to natural proportions means that the smaller ones get crowded, the smaller ones can be dug up and moved.
RandyZ
Moose Jaw
Canada

July 26, 2014
3:41 PM

Post #9903661

Thanks for the info. I will give them another year. Actually they have never flowered and have not been pruned every year but I am willing to try anything.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America