Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Marigolds not blooming

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
timK13
Havelock, NC

July 20, 2014
12:53 PM

Post #9898557

hi so I have a few marigold plants that are just not blooming. I used miracle grow soil which is high in nitrogen and I know this is probably part of the problem. However I have just started fertilizing in the last 2 weeks with a high phosphorus fertilizer but I haven't really seen any changes. they have grown big and green and have plenty of buds. but the buds open about 1/8 of the way and just stay that way. I just tried deadheading a few of them a couple days ago hoping that new buds will come in and open up. I am looking for any advice or suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Thumbnail by timK13   Thumbnail by timK13
Click an image for an enlarged view.

timK13
Havelock, NC

July 20, 2014
12:54 PM

Post #9898559

to add, they were planted back in late March and have been around for at least 3 months now
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 20, 2014
7:48 PM

Post #9898902

Marigolds prefer poor soil and little to no fertilizer.

I don't know what you can do to neutralize the fertilizer you've already put down.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 21, 2014
6:16 PM

Post #9899710

You have NOT said if these were grown from seed, planted as plug plants, or ready to bloom plants, also you have not said what the type of marigolds are,

There are various reasons for the lack of flowers on show.
Some types of French or Mexican marigolds don't have large showy flowers, they are small flowers, plenty buds but all maturing at separate times, also you need to remove any dead / dying flowers as IF you don't, the plant will begin to make seeds and stop growing flower buds,

If the plants were small plug plants, then they will just be taking longer to reach proper maturity and should do a catch up in a few weeks.

IF they were larger ready to bloom type, then it can only be over fed / rich soil,, the most common mistake most of us gardeners make is over fertilisation or over instant feeding BY the instant feed I'm talking about I mean the Miracil grow, this is NOT meant for young tender plants, the roots are way to few / under-developed to cope with all the extra green top growth it is way to early to start feeding. the other problem aslo is your latest feeding, it appears to me you are over feeding way too frequent, feed any plant once, then wait a few weeks to see if any results are noticed and leave well alone till you see further signs that more feed is required, the signs are less flowers AFTER they have already given good flowering, maybe foliage looking pale or weak, plants looking sad or unhealthy. BUT adding feed a week apart is classes as overfeeding and IF there is already an unknown problem, your adding to the problems by giving more feeds / nutrients before you know that is actually the problem.

Hope this give you some food for thought to help you get to the real problem.
Best regards.
WeeNel.

timK13
Havelock, NC

July 23, 2014
6:28 PM

Post #9901549

Weelnel thanks a lot for the advice. I appreciate it very much. I did grow them from seeds. I'm not sure what type of marigolds they are. Thanks so much for the fertilization advice. I will use that information for next year's grows
irishmist
Rochester, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2014
9:52 PM

Post #9901685

It does sound like the fertilizer. Not sure though since you're getting buds as well as lots of foliage. Not sure if you used liquid, dry or pelleted fertilizer but I'd try flushing some out with extra deep watering (maybe just one plant) to test results. If you added the pelletized slow release type, I'd try to remove any you can see around the plant, then water. You might also want to remove a bud and check it carefully for insects or worms. Also are they in full sun which marigolds need. Keep us posted.
irishmist
Rochester, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2014
10:03 PM

Post #9901686

I looked at the photos again and have a question. Since you planted from seed, did you sow the seeds directly in the ground or start inside? If you planted many seeds in a clump and have many little plants in each group, I think your plants are overcrowded. Each individual plant should be at least 6" apart for small varieties and thinning them (ouch!) should remedy the flowering problem. Good luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America