Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Need advice on blue ground cover

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ashleywilson66
Columbia, KY

July 20, 2014
7:22 PM

Post #9898875

I would like to plant my ditch line with blue flowering ground cover. I would like for it to have a tremendous amount of blooms so that the green of the plant cannot be seen, and if all possible last all summer. I've been looking but there are so many choices it had became overwhelming!! Any advice on what kind would be best? I live in between zones 6 & 7 if it makes a difference. Thanks!!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 21, 2014
6:25 PM

Post #9899714

Creeping Campanula is good, it spreads out and will keep flowering over all summer IF treated properly. I love it and after planting it around 10 years ago, I have lifted bits and replanted all over the garden, rocks between paver's etc, It comes in Blue, Purple, white etc, BUT though there are masses of lovely thick flowers, there is greenery showing too, I honestly don't know ANY flowering plants that dot have foliage, even shrubs that flower of bare stems will have foliage before all the flowers have passed.

These Campanula's are NOT too fussy about soil so long as it's NOT too rich, water now and again, and keep weeds at bay.
there are many others BUT like I say, NON that have no foliage that flower all summer.
Good luck. WeeNel.
ashleywilson66
Columbia, KY

July 21, 2014
7:06 PM

Post #9899749

Thanks so much! I've looked into campanula and it was one of my top choices already :) my idea probably sounds better in my head then ion real life. I want to plant our ditch line I with the blue ground cover and then put rrocks around the outside and a bridge across it to the mail box. So that it somewhat looks like water under the bridge when you look at it.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 21, 2014
8:03 PM

Post #9899828

Our neighbors did sort of same. Its been a while but as I recall...they had a small wooden bridge spanning the ditch - just slatted wood no rails or anything ..under the bridge and along the ditch bottom...along the entire line was rock..all sizes - like you would see on a river bed...boulders included... They had "pools" of the small blue river rock -- every now and again (perhaps shooting for similar to your water idea with the blue flowers) what I remember especially is that as the bridge was crossed if you looked down there were pottery fish ( she sculpts in clay) on stakes leaping out of the 'water' - I assume she made the fish -- very realistic looking.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 22, 2014
2:23 PM

Post #9900394

Love your idea Missingrossie, Ashley, Just make sure there is plenty light in the ditch as Most of the blue plants of any type like good light to help their colour, Good light does NOT always mean absolute full on sunshine, just good light AND sunshine at some times of the day.
IF you make the bottom ground look like a river bed, use different sizes of rocks,with smaller in-between like they were washed down into their proper place, the more natural you can make the riverbed the happier you would be. The creeping plants will eventually grow over and into the spaces between the rocks, please don't think for a moment there will be no space for that, believe me, these lovely little plants can creep / grow anywhere ONCE established.

Just enjoy no matter what you choose. Take your time and remember, things can change as you go along or after a few months you may want to re-arrange the rock bed.
let us know how you get on.
best Regards.
WeeNel.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 22, 2014
3:28 PM

Post #9900451

Yes and some plants look like plants in bloom underater ...like blue juniper or sedum. Thanks WeeNel but I was describing our old neighbors ditch and bridge. It was nice tho and you are correct, those rocks need to look natural. We have an area in a town called Saxaphaw ( that is spelled wrong I am fairly certain ) where a rushing bold river runs...HUGE bolders and smaller graduating down in size resting where nature has flung. Beautiful.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 22, 2014
3:30 PM

Post #9900453

Apologies Ashley. Took up room on your thread. Please update with photos when you get it all going. I hope your vision is realized -- it is a mighty one. Are you thinking seed??
ashleywilson66
Columbia, KY

July 23, 2014
9:43 AM

Post #9901089

Thanks so much for all of the great advice!! Missingrosie I hadn't really decided on using seed or starter plants yet. I was thinking if I end up starting it next summer I would have to use starters but if I found time to do it sooner I would use seed most likely.

13Turtles

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2014
4:22 AM

Post #9901740

Ashley, toy might consider doing several, say three?, different blue flowering and/or blue-leaved plants. Some benefits might be, looking more like natural water, with its variations in color, and having blooms for a longer period of time. And I think that I would see blue-green foliage as water too, in context. Oh, and you could do seed - more plants for the money - and some starter plants. Some annuals would appreciate having their seed thrown out before winter too, for growth the following spring.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 24, 2014
1:07 PM

Post #9902092

Good idea and also you might learn which do well - or not - by trying different plants. Would be a big investment to use all one type of starter only to learn it doesn't like the spot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America