Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Phlox paniculata bloom stimulant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
reddog690
Palatine, IL

July 29, 2014
2:01 PM

Post #9905863

I am not sure if I am pruning or fertilizing my phlox properly to encourage blooming. Please view the pictures attached and offer any suggestions you may have. This plant receives about eight hours of sunlight a day intends to dry out. I water it about every three days. I live in zone 5b.
Thanks in advance for your help. Please see the photos attached.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fr.php#ixzz38tRy60bL

Thumbnail by reddog690   Thumbnail by reddog690   Thumbnail by reddog690   Thumbnail by reddog690   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 31, 2014
8:15 PM

Post #9907601

I have pink phlox and I cut off the faded flowers and more flowers bloom from the lower stems. I do not know what is the name of my phlox.

Thumbnail by cytf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2014
7:29 PM

Post #9908316

Hi Red Dog,
Can't comment re a bloom stimulant. However, I might say I am not sure those photos look like Phlox paniculata. Phlox paniculata blooms with large "panicles" on the top of fairly stiff stems. The flowers are like pom-poms on the tops of the stems. Mine have not started to bloom yet. I am not sure what you have there. Am wondering if it might be some kind of bellflower, but that is just a wild guess. If you deadhead back to about 1/4" above a leaf axil, you may be able to get that plant to put out a second flush of flowers. Do you have a photo of it when it was in full bloom? If so, you might post that photo on a new thread and request help identifying it.
reddog690
Palatine, IL

August 4, 2014
7:41 AM

Post #9909951

Previously, Dave's beginner gardening forum helped me identify this as Phlox Paniculata. However I agree with you that the flowers look nothing like pom-poms. I will search some more. Thanks for your help.
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2014
7:27 AM

Post #9912277

I have to correct myself about bloom time. My self-sown Phlox paniculata is already blooming. The white 'David' just began opening a day or two ago.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2014
7:46 AM

Post #9913005

It would be best to post plant ID questions in the Plant ID forum.

Your plant is actually Dame's rocket, Hesperis matronalis. If you cut off the long seedpod-bearing stems at their bases, it may possibly bloom again... don't know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America