Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Phlox paniculata bloom stimulant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
reddog690
Palatine, IL

July 29, 2014
2:01 PM

Post #9905863

I am not sure if I am pruning or fertilizing my phlox properly to encourage blooming. Please view the pictures attached and offer any suggestions you may have. This plant receives about eight hours of sunlight a day intends to dry out. I water it about every three days. I live in zone 5b.
Thanks in advance for your help. Please see the photos attached.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fr.php#ixzz38tRy60bL

Thumbnail by reddog690   Thumbnail by reddog690   Thumbnail by reddog690   Thumbnail by reddog690   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

July 31, 2014
8:15 PM

Post #9907601

I have pink phlox and I cut off the faded flowers and more flowers bloom from the lower stems. I do not know what is the name of my phlox.

Thumbnail by cytf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2014
7:29 PM

Post #9908316

Hi Red Dog,
Can't comment re a bloom stimulant. However, I might say I am not sure those photos look like Phlox paniculata. Phlox paniculata blooms with large "panicles" on the top of fairly stiff stems. The flowers are like pom-poms on the tops of the stems. Mine have not started to bloom yet. I am not sure what you have there. Am wondering if it might be some kind of bellflower, but that is just a wild guess. If you deadhead back to about 1/4" above a leaf axil, you may be able to get that plant to put out a second flush of flowers. Do you have a photo of it when it was in full bloom? If so, you might post that photo on a new thread and request help identifying it.
reddog690
Palatine, IL

August 4, 2014
7:41 AM

Post #9909951

Previously, Dave's beginner gardening forum helped me identify this as Phlox Paniculata. However I agree with you that the flowers look nothing like pom-poms. I will search some more. Thanks for your help.
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2014
7:27 AM

Post #9912277

I have to correct myself about bloom time. My self-sown Phlox paniculata is already blooming. The white 'David' just began opening a day or two ago.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2014
7:46 AM

Post #9913005

It would be best to post plant ID questions in the Plant ID forum.

Your plant is actually Dame's rocket, Hesperis matronalis. If you cut off the long seedpod-bearing stems at their bases, it may possibly bloom again... don't know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America