Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

August 3, 2014
12:19 AM

Post #9909082

Below are pictures of my balloon flowers. This is their second year and I love them- but they are in the wrong place. Can I transplant them? had I better wait until the blooms quit for the season?

How deep do their roots go, anyhow? This plant grows straight up about four feet, then blooms these five petaled purple blue flowers that swell into a five sided pentagonal shape before they dry up and fall off.

thanks
HeatherY

Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2014
7:38 AM

Post #9909229

These plants have a taproot and are not fond of being transplanted. If you have to move them, Spring is the best time. Those are very pretty, by the way. :)
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

August 3, 2014
1:44 PM

Post #9909427

A taproot? Oh dear. I wanted to move them to a spot I am not sure has very deep soil!

Hmm maybe if I get another it will grow happily in that ideal place, breaking up the soil below..
Thanks for the reply, anyhow.
Heather
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2014
11:46 AM

Post #9910123

Try sowing some seeds from your plants?

valal

valal
Natick, MA

August 5, 2014
4:47 PM

Post #9911125

I moved a balloon flower plant this June successfully. I just made sure to plant it in good soil and water frequently for it to settle in. It's happier where it is now, as it has more sun and i've never seen it blossom so much! It really was not in a good place (not enough sun) before, as our trees overgrew the area. I just take a shovel and dig a few inches all the way around and lift the whole thing, dirt and all. Have a hole prepared where it's going and "drop" (gently slide!) it in and pack good soil around it. Good luck. It's such a pretty plant.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 7, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9912307

Hi Heather Y you plant is beautiful ,what big blooms. I had a plant many years ago and I sold that house and moved in winter time and did not get to have that plant since. Have you saved seeds from your plant? If you do,can I have some.Let me know and I will send you my D Mail.Happy gardening
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

August 8, 2014
5:16 PM

Post #9913364

I have not saved seeds, but now I will try, just for fun.

I have tried to plant seeds ( post blossom pods) but they have only been planted a few weeks!

cy, if you want a good plant quickly, I got them from I think North Star catalogue, a company out of Kentucky that focuses on native plants from mountain Kentucky, but has some other things as well.

Heather
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2014
5:16 AM

Post #9915168

I moved three last year and one survived. I have had balloon flower quite a few years and several more have popped up from self-sowing. The plant that I bought was labeled as a dwarf variety, and then unfortunately it and all its seedlings turned out to be NOT dwarf, and growing in the wrong place. . . (The other thing to remember about balloon flower is that it is late to sprout. It pokes up out of the ground after most other perennials have begun to send up green shoots and form leaves.)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2014
6:54 AM

Post #9915255

Here, in zone 7, it pops up mid April.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HeatherY
Kensington, NY

August 13, 2014
11:53 AM

Post #9917215

cy, I just picked some of the green seed pods where the flowers were all done and took some pictures of the seeds (tiny little black or purple black seeds) . I am going to try to load the pictures now, but if nothing happens I will get the pictures up another way.

Mom says I should have left them on the stalk to dry out naturally. There are a few blooms left I will treat that way.

Pirl, those sprouts are tiny! I suppose I will have to mark my planting spot very very well so
I don't weed em.

Heather
BTW everyone seems to get their zone listed automatically, how do I do this? My zone is 7a.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

August 13, 2014
12:39 PM

Post #9917273

Pictures of ballon flower seed pod and seeds!
There are also some plumba stigmata seeds, they are the spiky cluster of brown seed pods.
They have the sweetest little true blue flowers, unlike the big over the top ballon flowers, which I also like!

Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 13, 2014
6:38 PM

Post #9917410

I think your mom is right ,let the seeds pods dry naturally and ten extract the seeds.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 13, 2014
6:39 PM

Post #9917411

Sorry ,then extract the seeds
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2014
7:26 AM

Post #9918646

The trick is to harvest the seeds just before the pods burst/distribute in the garden. . . Otherwise, watch for seedlings when they sprout in the garden, and transplant them when they are small. A pair of matching scoops works well for transplanting seedlings of things that self-sow. Scoop A to lift the seedling, Scoop B to scoop out an identical size hole, then slide the soil/seedling off of Scoop A into the hole.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

September 8, 2014
1:58 PM

Post #9935853

Hey, cy, from SI, something has occurred to me - I wonder if these seeds are fertile? This is my one and only balloon plant. Did it need another one to cross pollinate?

I got it in bare root form, from a KY nuresery called North Star or some such thing, I found it through DG webpages. Look Up Balloon Flower.

Meanwhile I will continue to watch the seed pods that are still on the stalk -have not fallen off, have not opened any new blossoms for a a few weeks now. I will try to grab em the same day I find them on the ground, then extract the seeds.

I will be happy to send you seeds.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

September 18, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9942863

Thank you Heather Y will appreciate the seeds.Will send you my info.

mogu

mogu
Brimfield, MA

September 26, 2014
4:34 PM

Post #9948334

Those flowers are beautiful, best regards
mogu

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America