momstxgarden

momstxgarden
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2014
12:57 PM

Post #9916413

Hello,

This is my first time planting Lantana (new/returning to Gardening) would appreciate any tips, feedback, and constructive criticism, as these are looking pretty crappy to me. My goals are1. to not kill them! 2. for them to spread and cover this area-have not added bark, or rocks as I want to know if I need to add more Lantana or wait and let these fill in?

p.s.

I am new here. Don't know if Lantana should be under flower or ground cover, etc. I was unable to post in Texas Garden area, and I could not find an "introduction/newbie" thread if there is one... please point me in the right direction. any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
(zone: 8a)

Thumbnail by momstxgarden   Thumbnail by momstxgarden   Thumbnail by momstxgarden      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2014
2:41 PM

Post #9916469

Hi and Welcome to Dave's Garden!

I've never grown Lantana, but I definitely plan to next year after recently visiting Chicago Botanic Garden's Butterfly exhibit. The butterflies were all over the Lantana...they loved it!. In my area it's grown as an annual.

I'm sure you'll get more responses soon, but one way to get more info as well as reading comments from other members is through PlantFiles (accessed through the "Guides & Information" link at the top of the page)

Below are two PlantFiles links, one for regular Lantana and the other is the search page with different varieties. Reading comments, some even from Texas Gardeners, might give you some tips and ideas. You'll also get to look at lots of pictures. You'll only be able to search PlantFiles and the other guides 10 times per day, but that should be enough to learn a bit about the plant.

Here are the links:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/578/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=lantana&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

momstxgarden

momstxgarden
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2014
5:33 PM

Post #9916643

Thank you so much nutsaboutnature. I appreciate that. yes lantana dos attract butterflies as well as bees, they are all around here in Texas, I just love the color. and how fast they grow. Hope to see a photo of yours when you do plant it. thanks again for your help.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2014
8:48 PM

Post #9918366

There are many varieties of Lantana.
Some spread quite a lot, so can be planted farther apart. (as much as 5' apart)
Some stay more compact, so can be planted closer. (about 2.5-3' apart)

Yours are fine. I would add the bark around them, to hold moisture in the soil, and the bark gradually decomposes, adding organic matter to the soil.

We are pretty relaxed about where to put posts. As noted by nutsaboutnature, Lantana is grown as an annual where it freezes, and as a shrub or ground cover in milder areas. I think this is a good forum for your question, since Lantana is almost always thought of as a flowering plant, even though it can be many other things.

momstxgarden

momstxgarden
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2014
5:18 AM

Post #9925018

Thank you!

Diana your replies have all been so helpful! ; )
BetNC
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2014
4:04 PM

Post #9931617

I'm a novice, too. . .. . AND I planted lantana just this June, so I wanna know tips, too!

I bought it from an online nursery, which advertised it as perennial (for me), all summer-long flowering (each flower cluster containing florets of orange, red and yellow), upright and spreading, 2'X4', drought tolerant after the first year but needing regular water that first year. . .and (so far) it has lived up to these specs!

I fertilized it with MiracleGro (the "for everything" kind) at transplanting, then again in July and August...then switched to weekly applications of MiracleGro Bloom Buster to be ended at the end of October. . . at transplanting, I spread pine bark much to a depth of 1" - up to about half an inch of the stem. . . I've watered it every 3 days, with rain re-setting that count.

In return, the little starter plant doubled in size (all local plants had slowed growth, thanks to the "summer that wasn't" here) with dark green leaves and many tri-colored flower clusters and seems to be always full of green flower buds.

I hope it will come back next summer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America