Landscape plot where large juniper bush was once located

Salem, OR

I removed a very large juniper bush from the front of the house I lived in. Hard Work!

Anyway I would like to replace the spot with some landscaping that looks good but not too time consuming to maintain.

I would like to balance it with the rock type garden I created to the north of this plot. I have included a picture of that.

This plot gets lots of full sun. Even at the end of July this plot is still has full sun into 2:00 p.m. At the longest day of the year it will have sun well into 3 p.m.

So plants that like sun will be ideal My wife would like to have a lilac. A dwarf would be idea so I do not end up the overgrown issue like with the juniper. Suggestions would be helpful. I am in zone 6 in Oregon.

In the existing north plot note my use of red lava rock. When I developed that area, I used the lava rock to help stop local cats and other animals from disposing their waste products there. In this area I have Spanish moss, Alyssum, Hosta, and some Sedum plants. Note that I am using random shaped quarry type rock as edging. It is a bit of a extra work and challenging to keep it edged where the mower can not reach. Not sure why, but I like the effect.

At the time the undeveloped south plot is being used extensively by the local animal population for waste. This is why I doubt I will be very successful replacing the bare spot with any sort of lawn grass.

Thumbnail by mlboyd18 Thumbnail by mlboyd18 Thumbnail by mlboyd18 Thumbnail by mlboyd18
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

There are dwarf lilacs. They are sold around here as 'French Lilac' but there are many varieties, many colors. They are fine in the sunny location you are describing.
Research the heights, and get several that grow no higher than about the bottom of the window, unless you want the screening. That area might be OK with 2-3 such dwarfs. Do not crowd them in, or else you will create a maintenance problem. Each one standing separate from the others is much easier to care for, and a more impressive display when they bloom.

Under the lilacs you could go with mixed flowers including perennials, but look for plants that prefer more sun. Hosta may do just fine in OR, but here they tend to burn in the sun.
If you select just one species that grows low and spreads it can make a uniform ground cover, and be much easier to care for than several different types. Accent the entry, and the corner near the driveway they way you have done with mixed flowers in a limited area, then keep the background plantings (away from the main entry) simpler. (by the way, I think you have Irish moss, not Spanish)
Look into plants like
Ajuga reptans
Fragaria chiloensis
Vinca minor
and similar plants as ground cover. These grow dense enough that cats probably won't want to use the area.
Until the plants fill in you can mulch with lava rock, or protect the area some other way.

When you are using the rocks as lawn edging it is indeed impossible to mow or edge, and the grass shoots up between the rocks. Looks pretty when it is well maintained, but is a maintenance nightmare.
I would use header board as the actual edge of the lawn, and keep the rocks behind that. Not as natural looking as when the grass grows right up to the rocks, but MUCH easier to maintain. A wide enough band such as 2 x 4 can be a good place to run the lawn mower wheels, and you can use an edger right up to it, creating that clean, finished edge.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I would look for dwarf shrubs that bloom. Take advantage of the full sun.

Sempeter, Slovenia

Hi,

I have found some simple landscaping ideas here http://www.poronuistation.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.