Alyssum sprouting

Lakeview, OH

I planted a pack of Alyssum the other day and they have sprouted already! I took the plastic off because it was holding too much moisture, but they have popped up quick! Here is a picture of them, how long before they are big enough to bloom?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

You dont say IF these seedlings are growing inside or outdoors, wherever they are. leave them alone except for watering IF required, in about a week or so the seedlings should have grown another set of small leaves, after these leaves get stronger, you can use a pencil to lift a seedling free from the soil wheile holding onto the 2nd set of leaves in the other hand, you then transplant the seedling this way and set them about 2 inch half apart. at this stage of transplanting seedlings, I use seed trays that are about 2 inches deep, you get them cheep in garden stores, they have drainage holes in the bottom, fill the trays with good quality seed growing compost specially for this purpose, set the seedlings apart 1 inch and half apart, thats about 5 seedling per row and each row same distance.
Water from the bottom by placing the trays into a bath or basin of water till the compost turns darker, then drain it and place the seedling to grow on where they get good light, BUT away from cold draughts, as they grow on, they will become taller and spread out more, when they are able to be accomodated outside, no frost or cold nights then you will be able to move them out of the house IF they are indoors now.
Do remember, these plants AND morning glories are spring / summer type bedding plants and will grow inside as they are sheltered, warmer and getting light so even though your growing them out of season, they will thrive because by growing indoors you are mimicing some of the conditions they require for outdoor summer growth.

Hope3it all works out for you and you get lot's of enjoyment.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Lakeview, OH

Thanks WeeNel, I have a couple of picures to show you, the first one is a Flying Saucer morning glory that is growing INSIDE the house in the picture window, the second is a moonflower bud that is getting real close to opening and it is in the same pot with the morning glory. The Alyssum is inside under a flourescent lamp and is doing quite well, if the seeds were not so darn tiny, I woud not have a problem separating them, but as anyone can tell you if you have never had these seeds before, you better turn off your fan and for goodness sakes don't sneeze! Hee hee! I will post pictures when the Alyssum gets bigger and the moonflower opens.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

To plant very fine seeds and get a good spacing, blend the seeds with sand of about the same texture, or something even finer (perhaps peat moss) then scatter the blend. You might have to add a lot of sand or other filler (25% seed + 75% filler) to get the seeds spaced nicely apart.

Hi emptyeyes, your flowers are so pretty, they look like someone has painted them using those beautiful colours, glad all turned out well for you.

Diana has given you a good suggestion re adding some fine horticultural sand and mixing your very fine seeds with this, Poppy seeds are so very small and fine too so another idea is to use an old pepper pot, (NOT THE TYPE YOU GRIND THE PEPPERCORNS) I use the old fashioned type that we have to shake the pepper out. you may have to make the small holes a little larger by screwing a screw nail into the holes and this makes them a bit bigger, dont make them too big,
Another tip, when sewing really fine seeds' I dont cover them at all and they germinate faster and are OK.

Well done you, hope your gardening skills and enjoyment from this hobby, gives you many years of pleasure.
Good luck
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Lakeview, OH

Thank you WeeNel, can you tell me when the Alyssum are going to start to show some color?

I believe the quickest blooming variety will start showing some flowers in about 6 weeks, they are REALLY fast.

See how they are all leaning? They need more light.

Really Sorry BUT, I grow my Alyssum as a summer bedding plant, some years I purchase a tray of of 36 small plants already germinated, this is around End of April -May, When I have started them from seed, I begin sewing around Feb - March.

It is NOT a bedding plant I use a lot of as I prefer many other more colourful Bedding plants.
I have to use containers to grow Summer bedding. Alyssum being smallish, they don't show much, IF I plant them into the beds, the slugs have a field day before the little plants are large enough to recover from the slug-feast LOL.
I also grow the Perennial Alyssum which is a buttercup Yellow, much more hardy however that one flowers early spring from March -May, it's more for a Rockery garden as it can trail beautifully.

In the right conditions INSIDE, your Alyssum could be ready for showing flower buds (in small clumps) after 6-8 weeks from Germination, BUT don't be over keen to rush them on as they are normally meant to flower early spring, they are Annuals (I think the ones you have) and Annuals are plants that germinate, flower, set seed, all in a short season, the Yellow Alyssum I mentioned is a Perrennial plant, germinating one year and flowering the following every year, they are short lived Plants in cooler areas like mine and I have very few left grow on, but they give a lovely early bit of colour while waiting the garden t awake from winter sleep.

Hope you have much success and huge enjoyment, just remember everything new in gardening is a trial, sometimes it works, other times failures, but you just try again till you get it right.

Good luck and enjoy.
Kind Regards. WeeNel.

Lakeview, OH

My alyssum is growing good now, it seems like it I ignore the plants, they grow better. My hubby says I obssess about them too much, but I love my flowers. To watch one grow from seed to flower is a accomplishment especially if it is one that you have never grown before, Here is my alyssum, it is doing quite well, can't wait to see blooms.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

I can remember when I first began gardening after marriage and the kids were sprouting at the same time, it was a very busy time then, BUT believe me, before the kids were fed, I always had to go look at my germinating seedling, I killed off more than grew to maturity all because I was far too kind to them with water, light, heat, poked the soil way too much and generally called my Dad every other day, LOL.
Moral of the story is, do the correct system of good seed soil, water and light, a quick look every day is more than enough as those lovely healthy little seedlings DONT like being fawned over, the pro growers don't have the time to keep poking about their newly planted or young seedlings, nor do the
Small nursery places over do the care, so try settle back to enjoy the fruits of your labour and only interfere IF you see a problem, NOT growing fast enough to suit our timing is NOT a problem as nature will dictate when help is required.

The taller plants you have in my opinion, would normally be getting lifted and potted up into small individual pots, about the size of a small yogurt plastic pot is about the right size, but I reuse small plant-pots I got with ready made plants, washed out and clean, make sure you have holes in the bottom of pots so you can allow drainage, by doing this, you allow more light to reach the small seedlings that are still trying to catch up with the larger seedlings,
As you gain more confidence and understand that seedlings are like our children, over feeding or too much molly cuddling them CAN make them sick, weak or even cause their death, you will stop over protecting them and allow them to do the job nature intended BUT with a little help from us.
We all go down your road when we start off, just don't feel bad about it, your doing fine but remember this is supposed to be a great RELAXING hobby, so please give yourself a break and try to enjoy at a distance LOL but hope you know what I mean.

Have fun and be kind to yourself instead of thinking your doing everything wrong.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.

Lakeview, OH

That is some very sound advice, so I will take it in the way you mean, I had to toss the Alyssum, they were dying anyway, there were way too many in the pot, and they were not doing anything, and the tips were drying out and turning brown. So I had some Coleus in another pot and I transplanted one of the others into the pot that the Alyssum was in, and now the two that are in the other pot can have more room to grow, I may end up having to put one of the Coleus into its own pot because they are huge! In fact they are both big! I still have my dumbcane, Snake plant, Coleus and some more sweet basil that I planted again, the others died, so I just put two seeds in each pot and put it closer to the lamp, also I am trying a forget-me-not seed(just one) too.

http://oovatu.com/ag, NY

To be able to plant very great seeds and have an excellent space, blend the particular seeds with yellow sand of about the identical structure, or anything even greater (perhaps peat moss moss) then spread the combination. You could have to incorporate plenty of yellow sand or other for filler injections (25% seed and up. 75% filler) to find the seed spaced nicely separate
Visitez le site Web
http://oovatu.com/agence-de-voyage/ocean-indien/sejour-voyage/ile-maurice

Portland, OR

hi all,

I planted some seeds of alyssum and my seedlings appear to be flowering already. They are still so little. I was hoping for a few weeks later than this. Not sure if you can tell by the pics. Is this normal?

thanks,

Thumbnail by lilmiss44 Thumbnail by lilmiss44 Thumbnail by lilmiss44

These look like Aurina saxatilis (if they are Alyssum), not Lobularia (the plant the rest of this post is talking about) and I do not think they should be blooming this young. I have usually seen more growth before they set flowers.

Best to start your own thread, not post in someone else's.

Lakeview, OH

sorry

My comment about start a new thread was directed at lilmiss, not you, emptyeyes.

Sounds like you have quite a lot of seeds started!
Coleus was always spotty for me, and seemed to take forever!
Basil takes right off, though.

Portland, OR

Yes, Diana K, got your message clearly on another thread. I did not realize I was required to start a new thread when I wanted to ask a question on a topic that already has a thread. This forum obviously is diff than others I have been on. Sorry to be posting here.

Delhi, India

A big thank you for all this wisdom. Finally, truths are good. We are wholeheartedly strong with all those who publish all this on this page.

http://www.maharajahdrivers.com/index.aspx?language=french

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.