Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

i'm confused about a certain type of sunflower

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

my mother-in-law bought this cute little sunflower kit which came w/ the pot, seeds, & vermiculite soil...however the packaging had an artistic looking sunflower & the paper instructions said it was a dwarf sunflower...what confuses me is the scientific name that was also listed on the paper...it said 'Helianthus annuus'...when i looked in the plantfiles on here the dwarf sunflower was listed as 'Helianthus pumilus'...now i saw another sunflower listed w/ 'Helianthus annuus' as a name & it was the teddy bear sunflower which said it also was known as the Sungold Dwarf/Dwarf Sungold...i'm curious to know if the packaging company was confused or made a typo...so i just wanted to know if anyone knows if there is another sunflower titled as 'dwarf sunflower' but also listed under the 'annuus' species...or if you think it was supposed to be the actual dwarf one or the teddy bear one?

i just want an idea to which version it is...cuz the dwarf is listed as a perennial whereas the teddy bear one is listed as an annual...which made me unsure where to post this question...i also don't know if either will be able to survive where i am...i live in a 10b zone

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!