2nd view - first project

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is a closer shot of the area I want to fix. You can sortof see the large bed I want to tie into. I'm liking the idea of taking this sod up, the sides of the walk don't go together, in lighting or much else. My thought was to tie them together with grass, but the more I've looked this summer, the less I like it. Still wanting to mirror them in a sense, but we'll get to that later. I might keep y'all busy all winter:)

Thumbnail by tiG
Midland, PA

tiG - you have email.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

tiG, what kind of look are you wanting? A woodsy, natural kind of approach to the house, or a more formal, stylized planting scheme? Those are just two choices out of many others, but they are representative of the range of styles you can use. Share with us your ideal "feel" for this area, and that will help give us parameters to work within.

I really do think you should consider something to divert the water away from a head-on deluge heading for your front door when it rains. Even if you have french drains, it's not a good thing to direct water toward your house. What about a bog garden somewhere to the left of the sidewalk? It could give you a place for rain water runoff that could be quite pretty if filled with meadow rue and other perennials that love some sun and wet feet.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

The look I'm wanting is a welcoming friendly feel as you come down the walk. Cottage style. I have the large bed on the top right, you can't see it well, but it's pretty big and goes down to the pond. It will have to be a continuation from that. But I do like the idea of a boggy place, that could really work, if I can get enough plants that like all that water. Planning on putting a brug in the bed that this will end in. I have no idea how to do a french drain, I have heard of it, but that's all:)
Could I do this, maybe to divert the water some to each side? I don't think the ground would hold the water long enough to really make it a bog area, it's only a few weeks a year that we have all that rain.
If I take out the sod, put in another section of concrete with pebbles, I think the drain could start at the end of this first section, and go into bed there.
Am I even thinking straight? you can see why this has been such a nightmare to me, I don't know what I'm doing:)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, I think you can divert most of the water by creating a low spot and planting it as a bog garden. (This may involve renting a bobcat for a day to dig it out, and careful planning on where to put the dirt you dig out, because you'll have enough to create a berm somewhere else. And there are many plants that will do well in a sporadically boggy area - here are a few perennials off the top of my head that like wet feet:

Eupatorium/Joe Pye Weed
Thalictrum
Filipendula
Chelone
Crinums
Louisiana iris
Hibiscus (several species)
Physostegia/Obedient Plant
Salvia lyrata
Thalia dealbata
Saururus/Lizard's Tail (and I have some Thalia and Saururus I'd be glad to share with you next spring)
Lysimachia clethroides (Gooseneck Loosestrife)
etc. etc. etc.

These should give you some ideas on what could work in an area that is an intentional low spot in your yard. While it may not catch all the rain that you get, it'll catch enough to help with runoff during seasonal rains, as well as provide a beautiful "bed" throughout the summer.

When you're ready, we'll talk about plantings on both sides of the walk - it may be less an exact match as an echo/repeating pattern. Here are some questions that you can answer to help:

1. Approximately how long is this sidewalk from the steps to your front door?
2. How wide is your yard, and what other structures are in place, including trees?
3. Do you have a shot from the road looking down toward your house? That could help us get a 360-degree picture of the layout.

Thanks for letting us "experiment" on you! I promise to go next, just as soon as my pictures are developed :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll take a picture tomorrow of the 'from the street' shot. There's so much work!!! and we've made so many mistakes that need fixing too:) and I'll measure the distance from the driveway to door. I may need to find a place where I can put up several pics to get all the shots from front view. I have an old geocities page, I may have to make a 'page' where I can send you to look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images