Bees not staying on flowers

Seville, OH

last fall I planted a large spring flower bulb bed full of daffs, crocus, tulips, and hyacinths plus many more later blooming bulbs such as alliums, glads, iris, etc. It is now late April, all of the mid Spring bulbs have bloomed. I watch the bees visit a blossom, but they quickly move onto another flower where they also do not stay to eat or collect pollen. At first I thought maybe the blossoms haven't matured yet and in a few days the pollen would be available. However, it's been several weeks that the daffs and hyacinths have been in bloom and I haven't seen any bees stick around. They come by and visit each flower but do not stay to eat or collect. What could the be problem? Could these bulbs be producing sterile flowers? Or, are the flowers already picked clean by other foragers?
My end goal of creating flower gardens is to attract bees and birds, but I wonder if it is possible to grow viable plants that produce pollen seeds and nectar.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I do not know why the bees are not collecting pollen from those flowers.
If you brush your hand on them (the flowers) does some pollen come off onto your hand? Maybe some other forager has indeed cleaned off the flower. Do you see other insects, perhaps bumble bees? Butterflies?

After the flowers fad, do fruits form? Seed pods? (indicating the flower got pollinated)

Go watch the hive entrance, and see if you can figure out which direction the bees are coming from, especially the ones carrying pollen. Look at the color of the pollen, especially odd colors like blue or red. Then look around the neighborhood and see what is in bloom.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

May be searching for sweet clovers, for a bee, not all pollen is created equally- some tree pollenss are collected to create structure, not food...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.