For Busybee 3

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, I am sure you have the idea by now and are possibly sick of looking at my timbers. LOL Just wanted to add one more that showed straight edges and curves with the same material. This bed is two years old.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Hin Badseed, The last photo is what I`m looking for --for the inside of the bed. Random planting, no grass just mulch but I want to get away from having to do so much weedeating. Do you use round-up around the outer edge because I notice the grass goes all the way to the timbers. I have a large area and I wanted to mow without using round-up. It will take several bundles of brick and a strong back to partially bury them so the mower can go over them. You have a very pretty yard. How many years did it take? This is only my second year to work on mine. That is why I have so much grass to cut. It takes over 5 1/2 hr. and we have a big riding mower. My plants are too crowded and I need a large bed to go all the way to the chain link fence, this will cut down on the mowing. A lot of the time is used in going around the existing trees and bushes. Just wish I could twitch my nose and it would be done. "Doesn`t everybody?"

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I do use a weed eater to trim around them. As I mentioned on the other pics, a lot of rain run off comes through, so flush is not an option for me. We also have hard clay, so soil ammending had to go both down and up. I only use Round-up in the creek bed. Is it possible for you to join together some of your trees and bushes in beds so you don't have to mow around each? I have only been working on the yard the last three years, since I started trading plants and seeds. Taking care of the yard only takes a few hours each Saturday, but I consider it my 'me' time. I have four small children and am pregnant with my fifth. I guess I do it all for the sanity.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow how did I miss this!! Simply beautiful!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you Louisa. I'm not surprised you would like it. LOL I have been accused of having and English/Country cottage sort of style. LOL I simply put in what I had. LOL

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

And you did it so well my friend!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Michelle, what all do you have planted in your beds? Are they mostly perennials or annuals?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi GV, I have spent three years trying to fill them up with perennials. The first year I put everything in three places to fill in. The last two years, I have traded out some of the duplicates to add new things. I fill in with annuals. I also get lucky with some self seeders. Why do you ask? This bed starts with a variety of sedums because it is dry and blatant sun and not so great soil. It then fades through a variety of plants and the last plant in the bed is the giant hardy pampass. In between I have several colors of iris, columbines, coneflowers, siberian iris, coreopsis, mums,daisies, cactus, grasses, linaria, vinca, dahlia, glads, tulips, alliums, crocus, malva, hollyhocks, roses, liatris, etc. Some things I have several varieties of and other things just a plant or two. I'll have to see if I have any pics of other gardens or different varieties.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the run-down! I was just curious to know what you had in there...it's a very pretty mix of plants :)

Badseed - your gardens are BEAUTIFUL.....vic

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Absolutely Beautiful! All my beds are only a few short months old and I'm hoping they make it through the winter. My dream is to one day in the next few years have a garden that looks like that. It's gorgeous!
Joan

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Sure wish you could come to my house--twitch your nose and wa-la flower beds just like yours.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Busybee, I sure would if I could! Honestly I just did the first, cheapest thing that came to mind. Most of those plants were seed grown and several came from trades. I have really learned to be patient. :) When you do get your beds like you want them, maybe I can help you with some plants and seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images