Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

How to start Physalis peruviana (Chinese Gooseberry or Pichuberry)

Chino Valley, AZ(Zone 7a)

Went to the farmers market this morning and one vendor was giving out samples of what he called Pichuberry. Looked like a small yellow tomato but was very sweet and tart at the same time. Full of tiny seeds and I was wondering if I could get some of these started from seed. Supposedly being touted as a new superfood although they have been around for centuries. Anyone here have any experience with them? I couldn't find any information on starting them.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is some information that might help: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1979/

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I've grown them and I started them like tomato seeds but they grow fast like a tomatillo. I noticed the link says they need acidic soil but I grow them in very alkaline soil and they do just fine. They are related to Ground Cherries, I really like them very few make it into the house. Lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.