Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Are you planning on planting vegetables this year?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 44 votes:

Yes, I always have a vegetable garden. (what do you plant?)
(20 votes, 45%)
Red dot

Yes, this is my first year for veggies.
(2 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I'm going to plant my veggies in a raised bed or containers.
(11 votes, 25%)
Red dot

I don't grow vegetables, but do have herbs.
(6 votes, 13%)
Red dot

No, I'm not planning on planting anything edible this year. (why not?)
(5 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Canton--Football HOF, OH(Zone 6a)

My first vegetable garden was planted in 2008. It flourished until we were pummelled with golf ball size hail! The veggies were pronounced dead on the scene....We nearly had a huge veggie smoothie!

Ahhh, Mother Nature can be cruel!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Herbs I have. Veggies not this year. Basil, thyme, dill, onions, rosemary, marigolds, m mint marigold, sunflower, chives, oxalis. There's a few more, or var of the above.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I always plant tomatoes (several varieties, almost all started from seed), sweet peppers, poblanos and jalapenos, okra, squash and cukes. Plus my favorite annuals, zinnias, cosmos, marigolds, sunflower. Herbs are basil & cilantro (for a short while) and the perennials that remain (chives, rosemary).

Oxdrift, Canada

I plant corn and squash in ground and everything else in raised beds. There are 2 rows of corn on the outside, then a fairly wide area for the squash to sprawl then 3 raised beds on the other side. What I plan to change this year is to take the peas out of the raised beds. They are always done early and take up most of one of the beds, so a real waste of space. I will plant them in ground on the opposite side of the squash to the corn. Once the peas are finished the squash will have the same sprawl room as long as they are not pushing the peas out too early. Time will tell if that is a good theory or not!

Thumbnail by oxdriftgardener
Casa Grande, AZ

It is 82 degrees today. Sounds nice until June, July, August and September when it is 112 degrees everyday. Regrettable I can't grow veggies. Cool in that I get to grow cacti! :D
Plant some 'maters for me guys!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This is my second year doing vegetables. This time I'm on a 1/2 acre to play around with. I've got seed that needs to be planted but I need to dig up the turf first. I'm doing tons of sunflowers but for cut. Pic is last years veggie garden

Thumbnail by growin
Canton--Football HOF, OH(Zone 6a)

Growin, your veggie garden is a piece of art! Beautiful!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the compliment! I found the joys of using driftwood and logs from the beach. Learned a whole bunch, like, don't plant lettuce seed so close, zucchini grows real big and amending the soil goes a long way. This year should prove even more adventurous.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

corn , chili's squash and tomatoes - all already in ground .

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

There has been a vegetable garden in the back yard of every house I've lived in since I was born! I'm in the 8th decade of my life (no, I'm not 80!), so we don't have the need or the energy for a large vegetable garden. No canning and freezing, just fresh veggies for the table. This spring we've planted kale, potatoes, beets, radishes, Brussel's sprouts, leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Next week we'll plant squash, and in a few weeks, okra. We're enjoying asparagus now from our well established asparagus bed.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

This year I've planted: Tomatoes, Green Bell Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper, Red and Green Okra, Cucumber and Snap Pea (first year trying Snap Pea).

All of my veggies and herbs are in pots or raised beds. I've attached pics.

Thumbnail by weRgroot Thumbnail by weRgroot

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.