Rough Year for Garlic

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We've had lots of severe weather this year including straight line winds, hail, strong winds around 60mph, and storms. My poor garlic has really taken a hit! Not sure what to do with this garlic that was blown down by the last storm yesterday. Suggestions?

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't have scapes. I have plants that have flopped over. I pulled one up and it's just a single round clove about the size of a golf ball. Not sure if these will continue developing or not.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

hmm...i was assuming that the scapes were what the leaves were called

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

What's a scape?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The scape is the flower stalk that shoots up with the flower head at the top.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

ah sorry about the confusion there, either way i also hear the greens are edible too, used just like chives. or you can do what i have sometimes done and prop the leaning plants up with a rock, lol.

This message was edited May 2, 2016 8:49 PM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think you caused any confusion. Now I know what a scape is. Lol

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

stephanietx,
I don't think you should worry. Garlic is pretty hardy.
I just pulled one plant to see if it was making bulbs and I was very happy to see that IT IS making little garlic bulbs.
Last year was the worst for me. My garlic was super small, but it tasted the best ever and it kept for so long !
I am planning to harvest at the end of May as usual !

So worries !!

Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm worried because they've been blown over and their tops are flopped on the ground. Not sure if the neck being broken is a bad thing for them.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe you can try to pull one and see what it looks like.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I did that last weekend. They are about the size of golf balls, maybe a bit bigger, but the individual cloves haven't formed yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.