Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

sweet corn advice needed

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

So this is my very first time EVER growing sweet corn and all appears to be going well so far, i plan on hand pollinating them when the time comes. However i am noticing a couple of stalks starting to branch out a little. Im just curious if this is normal for corn to branch out like that? Ive just always thought it was one single stalk with no branches. But as i said ive never grown corn before either so im not entirely sure, lol.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Some corn gets multiple stalks, not sure why, but may be the variety you are growing. Each stalk will probably produce ears, they aren't suckers. I don't remember which ones do this off the top of my head.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

this variety that im growing is called "Golden Bantam"

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm, research says things like your corn is in rich and fertile soil, they are suckers, but with purpose as it helps shield and support your main stalk from winds. Apparently some years are more prone to creating them, but they are normal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.