Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Help me choose

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

If you could only choose five from the following list, what would you choose?
Blue Shadows, Chinese Sunrise, Fair Maiden, Fan Dance, Geisha, Golden Friendship, Green Eyes, Jack of Diamonds, Janet, Just So, Kabitan, Knockout, Nigrescens, Pizzazz, Queen Josephine, Sea Monster, Split Milk.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Leslie , I just got Janet this year but I will tell you that she was the last one to freeze, and Queen Josephine was a close second. These 2 ladies can really stand freezing temps! (for a little while) So my list would be:
1. Janet
2. Queen Josephine
3. Spilt Milk
4. Kabitan (always reliable)
5. Knockout

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Not to make it difficult for you but I think I would go with:
Blue Shadows
Jack o Diamonds
Sea Monster
Spilt Milk

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Sue & Jody,
Thank you for your replies. With your picks and the picks of others in two other forums, I will be able to decide which ones I will be ordering. Thanks again for your help.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

For a small one, I really like Fair Maiden. I bought one this spring, & divided it several times & it multiplied real well. I'm real pleast with her.
Queen Josephine is a real beauty too.
Spilt Milk for a streaked one is my choice. Just got her this year too.
Blue Shadows was a little slow coming up this year, but it almost grew quite well for being a Tokudama.
Pizzazz & Green Eyes were decent ones also.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I have Janet..and really like it..so unusual..a real bright spot.
I am going to buy Queen Josephine today hopefully.
I saw a young one on Sat. and passed on it, as I had chosen several other plants. But on seeing photos of it later in Zilis and on the net....I fell in love.
Sure hope it is still there when I go back.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Two on your list that I want would be Spilt Milk and Geisha. I just got Nigrescens because I like the color and the upright behavior.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Mrs_Ed and I go to the same therapist I guess. My two choices are also Geisha and
Spilt Milk. Geisha is a fabulous Hosta. xuling

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

hee! I just saw Geisha this summer on a garden tour and loved it. Spilt Milk you just have to have "because."

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I would go with:
Blue Shadows
Ani Machi (the proper name for Geisha)
Chinese Sunrise
Spilt Milk

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, 7 years later I would still pick the same ones :)

Though I would HAVE to add Queen Josephine and nigrescens to the list.

I won't ever replace Fair Maiden, the others would all make nice additions to any hosta garden, just not my first choices.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.