How to YOU start a new garden bed?

orangeville, Canada

If we are constructing a new garden, and if we want to be organic about everything, round-up is out of the question. How do YOU start a new garden? Do you cover the existing grass/weeds with cardboard or paper until they die? Do you till everything in? I'm curious as to what methods others have used.

Lynnwood, WA

Hello

I have used many methods. I have roto tilled existing sod in and with the addition of soil, built nice raised beds
Cut sod out and place grass side down, layered unwanted wood on top(hugelkultur), and then layer soil on top of that
applied cardboard to sod and then a thick layer of wood chips-this is used to kill the existing vegetation
Cut and removed sod, added compost and soil amendments, roto tilled thoroughly

What I always consider prior to choosing my course of action- is the soil compact, what is the nature of the top and sub soils, what has the site been used for before?

East Stroudsburg, PA

Quote from GoPlantGo :
If we are constructing a new garden, and if we want to be organic about everything, round-up is out of the question. How do YOU start a new garden? Do you cover the existing grass/weeds with cardboard or paper until they die? Do you till everything in? I'm curious as to what methods others have used.

We have done this LOTS of times lol as we get bored with designs after a while. We redid our front and side laws again last year. What we did was use a weed whacker to mark off in the grass where we wanted the beds. Then we cut the grass really low and put down cardboard a few layers thick. At the end of the season we took everything we grew and threw it on top of the cardboard and soaked it really well. We then took the compost and dirt from our old beds and put it on top of the old plants. After that we went to our local nursery which is all organic, we purchased shredded wood chips and laid that on top of everything to sit over the winter. In the spring we went out and mixed everything up and planted in about a month ago. Worked out nice

edit : this is the side lawn from last year
http://imgur.com/a/7ZyfR

This message was edited Jun 12, 2017 2:16 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.