Great Finds

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I love finding great deals and for someone on disability it is a must. I prep and need some things to do prepping. The find of great deals have helped a lot. One of my great find was a new Lem 10 tray dehydrator that I was able to get for $20.00. I had an old Ronco that did not dehydrate very well. I then found 2 expensive Foodsavers, one I got for $10.00 and the other I paid $30.00. I found one of the pricey coffee grinders that I paid $8.00. Yesterday I had 2 great finds. One was a Paula Deen enamel stockpot for $7.99 and a Power Pressure Cooker XL (I have wanted one of these for some time now) I paid $19.00. I get so excited when I find or hear of bargains so please post if you have a great bargain that you have found.

Thumbnail by weeding
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

weeding,
Congratulations on your great buys. Where are you finding these deals?
Internet? Garage Sales?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from birder17 :
weeding,
Internet? Garage Sales?

I find them in different places. My latest find is a vertical Masterbuilt smoker that I bought for $30.00 at Walmart. It had a dent in it but that caused no problems.II have wanted a vertical smoker for a few years now.
Look everywhere for bargains. Don't be afraid to talk down the price on damaged items. Most dents and scratches do not interfere with the performance of the item so don't be afraid to purchase it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, dents and scratches don't bother me on stuff like this.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

There are people in our area selling things they buy by the pallet then they sell the stuff for half of retail or less. The problem is that most of the stuff was returns so you can't be sure it works or works correctly. We have taken a chance few times. Some have been good deals and some have not.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't take a chance on anything unless it is 75%+ OFF. I have found that I can register a lot of the items and send them in for repair or replacement. For instance my $300.00 foodsaver that I paid $14.00 for did not work. I registered it and sent it in for repair. They actually sent me a replacement.

Goleta, CA

Quote from birder17 :
weeding,
Internet? Garage Sales?

If you have a craigslist ( http://www.craigslist.com ) in your community, you can find a lot of great buys on it. We have several communities here in Southern California with their own craigslist sites.
People get stuff with great expectations, but after it sits unused in their garages for several years, they (usually) sell for a very good price. We get kids bikes (it's a great way to get a bigger bike and pass on an unneeded smaller bike) and other stuff, and also sell our stuff we don't need. I see a lot of kitchen items on craigslist.
I saw a pressure cooker [edit: sold] on craigslist and thought of this thread. $80 instead of $200. Not too bad. Plus no sales tax.

This year we're going to try to do some of our Christmas shopping on Craigslist. It's a great way to teach kids frugality. If you forgo needing to get something brand new in a shiny retail box (a box that you just toss in the recycling after you open it), you can sometimes get essentially almost new stuff at a fraction of the cost. My best Craigslist score was several years ago when I got an almost-new tabletop tradeshow booth for 10% of the original price! The original owner got it for his start-up business and only went to one tradeshow, then gave up on his business. I used the booth several times and it's still like new. If I don't need it next year, I might even sell it, and could probably make money on it (might take a while to sell though... one has to sometimes be very patient with craigslist).
Even if I'm not saving money with craigslist, I think it's a great way to reduce, reuse, and recycle. As I mentioned above, for our kids, we've often gotten "used" bikes that they've ridden for a few years until they outgrow them, and then we resell them back on craigslist for about the same price. I wouldn't be surprised if the next buyer does the same thing.
Of course, the usual caveats apply. Some of the "deals" aren't really deals, and you have to use common sense. Its also usually (a lot) more work that just going to the store, but nobody ever said frugality was easy!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2016 2:19 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We're really rural. I don't check Craig's List much for that reason. But, good for you finding such good deals!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you have a craigslist ( http://www.craigslist.com ) in your community, you can find a lot of great buys on it. We have several communities here in Southern California with their own craigslist sites.
People get stuff with great expectations, but after it sits unused in their garages for several years, they (usually) sell for a very good price. We get kids bikes (it's a great way to get a bigger bike and pass on an unneeded smaller bike) and other stuff, and also sell our stuff we don't need. I see a lot of kitchen items on craigslist.
I saw this pressure cooker on craigslist and thought of this thread. $80 instead of $200. Not too bad. Plus no sales tax. Got to love craigslist!

This message was edited Nov 20, 2016 2:55 PM[/quote]

The pressure cooker is a great find. There have been so many post on the news about really bad Craig's list experiences that I have shied away from it. Keep posting your great finds.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I had 3 great finds today. I found 4 large glass amber EZ cap bottles. These bottles can be a bit pricey but they were $3.00 each. I also found a gallon size amber bottle for $4.00. There was also a wine making kit. I use to make wine years ago and thought about making it again. Last week I found this beer making kit, The amber bottles will be great for my kombucha tea.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My Dad made wine.

Springfield, MO

Hello, I'm a new member, I live in S.W. MO, USA and I'm so happy to have found this wonderful site with like minded people :) I wanted to share a site you sign up for called Freecycle. People post all kinds of stuff free for the picking up helping to reduce, reuse.. and only receive notices for your area. This is in use in the US and I believe several other countries as well. If I remember I will share the link, they send me emails with local goodies so I haven't been on site in quite awhile.. the price is right though :) Have a wonderful weekend

This message was edited Mar 25, 2017 8:56 AM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey BostonBB, Welcome. Good to have you join us. It's really a great site. I believe it's the best one out there for gardeners.
I live in S.E. Mo.
Your Freecycle sounds interesting. I'm not sure which forum would be the best for posting this, but thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking for an update.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi BostonBB! Welcome to daves. There are a lot of great gardeners here.I look forward to the freecycle post.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My lastest great find was yesterday. I found some Goji plants at Home Depot for 50% off. I bought the ones that still had nice green leaves on them. I hope they do great. I love Goji berries but they can get a little pricey.

Thumbnail by weeding
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I've never tasted them. I've read about them but never tried them.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Their flavor is like a dried cranberry to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.