2016, 2017 Winter Gardens

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thread for all your gardening trials & success.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

latest harvest
I am fermenting the peppers and the eggplants. Trying this recipe for the first time.
While I was away my self watering system must have stopped. The battery was blinking. I don't think I had much damages ... just slow germination for my lettuce and carrots

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My first broccoli head is ready to be harvest. Everything else is growing good.

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

first frost advisory of the year predicted for us (we should have had this back in october), yes, come on in and sweeten up my fall crops and make 'em taste good, lol!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I had a watermelon that volunteered by the picnic table. I picked it about October 12th and it was quite good.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

got all my kale and turnips harvested up. 3 good heaping gallon bags full of those awesome greens! Not a bad little collection of turnips either. I need to find a variety of turnip that bulbs up to a good size faster than purple top white globe does.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

it would help if i posted the photos lol

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

FINALLY got some seeds in! Planted seven flats of collards, and transplanted some herbs to planters.

Next up: BEETS!

Worked like a dog over the Thanksgiving holiday. Last Friday, I threw out seeds everywhere I prepped, and everything was up by Wednesday morning this week:
Gigante Spinach
Buttercrunch lettuce
Romaine Lettuce
Detroit Dark Red beets
Dinosaur Kale
Silver Queen Garlic
Georgia Collards

And, the peppers have one last picking, then, they're outta here. Been dehydrating and grinding Tabasco peppers for the last 4 months. I have about a 5-year supply of pepper spice, LOL!

And, I made enough homemade compost this year to top all the beds with 3-4" of sifted compost. Best part is, now that I look back on what I considered to be "late for me," I find that my garden is "right on time!!" Cuz, it's been so hot for so long, anything I would've planted in August would have just suffered and languished in our heat.

As it is, I got spinach to germinate in 3 days, cause the soil was cool enough!

All is well in my garden world!

Here's a progress report!
#1 Tabasco Peppers
#2 1.125 lbs. of Tabascos picked Thanksgiving morning - the plants are still loaded!
#3 Pepper powder!
#4 RB #5 with 4-5" of homemade compost. Seeded immediately after on Friday, 11/25/16 with two lettuces & beets; and, dinosaur kale tranplants. Seeds up by 11/30/16
#5 The lone kale plant from last season, that just won't quit. The leaves are amazing!

Hugs, yall!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl

P.S.
I still have almost a full 96-gallon bin of homemade compost left!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have indoor pepper plants that are setting pods. Bluebonnet seedlings are already coming up it surprises me bc at the time it had only froze once.

GG I agree the seeds germinate much better when the temps are right.

PICTORIAL UPDATE:
Sorry some pics turned sideways....
Pic #1 Raised Bed #5 the day after Thanksgiving, when I shored up the side that was eroding under the unlevel ground, and prepped it with 4" of my homemade compost.

Pic #2 Raised Bed #5 five days after seeding Romaine Lettuce, DDR Beets, Buttercrunch Lettuce, and transplanted some flat-leaf Kale (you can see one in the middle of the lettuce seeds) The Romaine lettuce is just now peeping through, on the far end. I thought the seeds were bad, but, they were just taking their time.

Pic #3 Gigante Spinach in five (5) patented Earthboxes setting side-x-side. Looking in from one end.

Pic #4 Collard green seedlings I transplanted into RB #2. Pulled trenches, laid them down, and covered the roots. Don't know what possessed me to start seeds in SEVEN flats, instead of just throwing them out there in the first place. Still, they're all standing up and liking the new location. And, I'll have seedlings enough to fill empty spaces from now until next March, LOL!

This message was edited Dec 8, 2016 10:24 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Looking good! Hard freeze tonight but we picked tomatoes, beans and peppers a few days ago. I'm looking forward to moving on to non-garden projects for a couple of months before seed starting.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Up here, I can maybe do greens into winter, I have had some great years with mustard greens in a warm southfacing bed .We are due for dip in the teens later this week and I am not sure how the mustard and lettuce will like that.
One year I used row cover but the voles took that as an invite to a cozy meal.

Up here, I can maybe do greens into winter, I have had some great years with mustard greens in a warm southfacing bed .We are due for dip in the teens later this week and I am not sure how the mustard and lettuce will like that.
One year I used row cover but the voles took that as an invite to a cozy meal.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Spending these cold days planning 2017 garden & ordering seeds. Always something new to try.
Trying cucumber, Sweet Slice. Cabbage, Harvest Mist supposed to get 9 1/2 to 10 lbs.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Always. Harvest mist looks good. Have grown O S Cross to 15 lbs. Just finished the last planting of 2016. Onions DP Sweet and Pink Diamond. November planted Willet Wonder peas are about an inch tall. Next planting target February 1. Fall harvet reaching full swing. broccoli, cabbage cauliflower, collards, mustard, turnips. Last freeze about finished the radishes except for the winter varieties. Rutabaga and carrots should be ready around the first of 2017.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

I'm taking a winter garden break while trying to track down a few unusual seeds. It's getting difficult to impossible to find southern peas that were commonly available from seed and feed stores. Wish I had room to grow more varieties. Whippoorwill and zipper have become unavailable locally so I've been saving seed for a few years. I'd like to find seed for Sea Island red peas and Sapelo red peas. These Gullah red peas were supposedly the originals used in Hoppin' John, not blackeyed peas. Anson Mills is carrying Sea Island peas, mostly for the high end southern restaurant chef but they have a pretty big, expensive minimum order for a small garden. Maybe a member of Local Harvest has them.

looks like you can do 14 oz of them at Anson Mills
http://www.ansonmills.com/products/41

Minimum order is 4 14 oz. units or one 10 lb. unit and I didn't even check the shipping cost. They ship them frozen. I'm estimating more than $30 for their seed. Everything research-wise points to them pretty much having proprietary control on the seed. There are a few small farmers east of me who might have some seed. Still checking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.