Oil Uses

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Does peanut oil have a taste of peanuts? Wouldn't that limit your use of it?

And then there's coconut fat. Doesn't it taste like coconut?

And what about grapeseed oil. Does it have an off taste?

Canola oil? Do you use it?

Olive oil?

Then, there's lard too.

Which oil do you use and why?

This message was edited Feb 2, 2017 4:52 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Tried to delete this message, but couldn't.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I use grapeseed and olive oil in toiletries. I also use olive oil for cooking some things, like today I will be using it to cook salmon. I have used coconut oil in some cooking. It usually is added to add taste and because it is healthier than most oils. I grew up with my family cooking with lard. Food definitely taste better cooked in lard but it is the most unhealthy oil out there.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Peanut oil is considered flavorless. I use it for frying and in any Asian cooking requiring oil that does not specify sesame which is very flavorful.

Coconut oil is mildly coconut flavored. I use it in some Asian, Indian and Carribean dishes like curries or dishes where coconut milk is used as well.

Fresh grapeseed oil does not have an off taste. I use it, and walnut oil in some salad dressings.

I mostly use extra virgin olive oil for salads of all types and in oil-based pasta dishes where the richer flavor is desireable. EVOO is from the first pressing and contains particles of olive so it has an olive flavor. It should be pleasant if the oil is good quality. Because of the particles in EVOO, it has a low burn point like butter so it's not good for high temperature cooking. On the other hand, regular olive oil is a second or later pressing and, because it is more purified, it has a higher burn point and is considered flavorless. I use regular olive oil for most pan sautéing.

Canola oil is supposed to be flavorless but I taste something chemical in it. Maybe it's the way it's processed. I've used it for deep frying but much prefer peanut oil.

Natural lard is no more unhealthy than butter if you don't use that stuff off the shelf that's hydrolyzed. Besides, most shelf lard today has shortening added. Naturally rendered pork fat is excellent for pasteries and certain ethnic recipies. It requires refrigeration and is expensive at about $13 a pound. It can be hard to find. I use it sparingly for certain baked goods mostly.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow. Thanks for the responses.
Lately, I have used Lard for pie crust. I was using Crisco shortening until it turned out to be really bad for you. Then, I went to butter but butter is a bit difficult to use in pie crust. The pie crust has to be really cold when you put it in your oven or it will shrink into a mess.
If anyone has had a better experience, please share.
I know Lard is unhealthy, but I haven't found anything else that works very well for pie crust. We eat pie about two or three times a year because of the health issue.
I have a friend that uses canola oil for pie crust, but it turns out too crispy for me. Again, if you have had good experience using oil for pie crust, please share.

I did not know Lard was part shortening. Finding good quality lard in my area would be impossible and expensive. What's a person suppose to do? I guess go back to using butter.

I use mostly canola oil for most general cooking and for salad dressings also. Sometimes, I use olive oil, but my EVOO is questionable. I buy it from the grocery store and don't think it's Extra Virgin. I read an article a few years back that stated most EVOO isn't really Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You just do the best you can.
We do a lot of grilling so eliminate the need for oil.
I've never used grape seed oil. I do use Walnut Oil in salads sometimes and keep it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The lard topic came up recently on the "What's For Dinner" thread. You can find lard with no additives at most Hispanic markets. But lard, like butter, is not a shelf stable food. So if you find lard on the shelf, read the label. It will be loaded with unpronounceable chemicals and may be almost half shortening. I have instructions for rendering lard if you are interested. I've been buying about two pounds a year from a specialty butcher, The Spotted Trotter but am considering rendering my own.

Try half butter, half lard for pastries and freeze the butter after cutting in pieces to keep it cold. Chill again after cutting in the fat and forming the disc. Definitely make sure the crust is chilled for at least two hours after forming. Slip the pie plate, with crust, into a clean produce bag to refrigerate. Butter does like to slump because it is a liquid fat. Lard is considered semi-solid.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We "may" have a Hispanic food store. I have never gone to it. I know we have an Asian food store in town. I will check the Hispanic store out.
I have lard that is shelf stable so is not good lard. I'll have to see what I can find. Until then, I'll use straight butter.
Good to know about the lard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.