Help with raccoon removal

Ontario, Canada

I have a herbal garden with different varieties of herbs. For the past one month I have been troubled by squirrels, birds and occasional raccoon on my deck. I'd prefer to have these herbs in a window box but I am concerned if they would be eaten.I am checking for services near to Vaughan. I would like to seek help of humane squirrel removal service, a1 checkmate http://removethewild.com/services/. I have heard that herbs on a shelf, railing, or table have less chance of being eaten. Need expert advice on tips to deter these miscreants from my garden.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Squirrels, and especially the small ground squirrels or chipmunks, will dig around plants in any container, no matter where it is located. They can leave a mess. Raccoons usually are after food (dog or cat food for example) left on a deck for a pet, or anything they consider edible in a garden. I've not had a problem with raccoons eating herbs. What do you have on your deck that the raccoon may be after? If you live in a wooded or rural area, they may just be looking for anything to eat.

Here in the states you can buy have-a-heart traps at local hardware stores. You bait them (I use dry dog food for possums & raccoons, or you could use bird seed for the squirrels) and hopefully catch them at night. The smaller size would do for squirrels but you'd need the larger one for the raccoon. But be careful releasing them as they can carry rabies and you don't want to get scratched or bit by any wild animals. Do wear long sleeves and heavy gloves and take them very far from your current environment.

orangeville, Canada

We use a radio at night to deter raccoons. It works!!! They don't like the noise and will go elsewhere. It is a great trick to keep them out of the vegetable garden too! Just make sure the radio is in a location that won't get wet when it rains. Good luck!

Montreal, Canada

You could use traps to lure them in.I normally keep my garden well lighted at night so that it could scare away the raccoons.You could even put radio at their entry points.Loud music often scares them away.

Ontario, Canada

Quote from GoPlantGo :
We use a radio at night to deter raccoons. It works!!! They don't like the noise and will go elsewhere. It is a great trick to keep them out of the vegetable garden too! Just make sure the radio is in a location that won't get wet when it rains. Good luck!

Thanks for the radio idea hope to implement it.I

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.