Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

Seed packet storage

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello, I am wondering how everyone stores / organizes their seed packets. Currently I just have jumbles of packets in zip lock bags. I am trying to figure out a way to organize. I was looking on line and the seed storage boxes / tins being sold for that purpose are going for like $50. That's pretty expensive for a wooden or tin box. Anyone have any good ideas for a cheaper way to do it?

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi I'm Dee. I'm an avid seed sower and for years I fought with my seeds. It's so hard to see what you have when they are all packets. Last year I started a seed company with a friend and had to find a better way to store them. Here are some pics of my seed "frig" and you can see some of the ways I store seeds. The little boxes are actually little metal cigar boxes.
I also store some in a drawer in a binder using baseball card organizer pages for the packages (this works good too).
I just want to add the green boxes at the bottom are a good size too ($ store find). They hold like a dozen seed packages, I use them to organize sowing times.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Ottawa, KS(Zone 6a)

I am able to keep my seeds in a cool closet all year long without refrigeration so my options are basic and cheaper. So if you have a cool closet or something that is helpful for your budget. I have just been getting all of my seeds organized in shoe boxes, I love free storage! I actually had a large collection of prescription pill bottles that I washed and now all of my seeds are inside the bottles and stored in the shoe boxes. I used Dollar Tree folder labels to label each bottle and added regular clear tape over top of them so they don't easily peel off, even used pretty gel pens for the writing. I kept the empty seed packets and have stored them in ...might be a baseball card pages...don't really know. It hold 2 per side so 4 per page thingy. I arranged them and labeled and they are on two rings and held in a binder with the rings. I like the idea of having separate containers yet still have packet planting info at your fingertips. I have had a lot of fun with it all. There are so many options and frugal methods. I recommend the Dollar Tree to start with and figure out where you will store the seeds first so you know what route to go.

Did you find a way to store your seeds? You know what is really nice is being able to see what you have at a glance. For years I had a box with baggies in it and I'd have to dig through it to find things.

Bellevue, WA

I place my seeds in a ziploc bag (and make sure to keep them sealed) in the refrigerator. I tested the germination of many of my seeds last month and I have seeds that germinated well that were way past the usual seed life.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I am very frugal and I save Pill Bottles since my hubby and I get medications every month. I put a label on the Cap , on the front of the Pill Bottle and I also put the year that I collected the seeds and store them in large Cookie Tins. I find it easier to find what I am looking for and in that way I sow the older seeds first.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

That looks good. It has the same advantage my system does in that you can "see" all the seeds at a glance. I had someone give me a good tip, add a little dessicant to keep the seeds dry. This is really a good idea if you refrigerate them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.