Advice appreciated for a sewing blunder

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

So i have just made this quilted coat for a friends dog according to how they specified it to be done, and it turns out that the coat bunches up over his shoulder area. which normally wouldnt be too big of a problem, if it werent for the velcro patches that are on the sides of the coat. she will be using those velcro areas to attach service dog patches onto. and this bunching up over the shoulders causes the patches to be obstructed where they cant be read. From what im looking at, MAYBE the chest part behind his front legs needs to be a bit bigger? she says that the fit everywhere else on the coat is perfect all except for this part. I am expecting her to return it back soon to fix it for her, so any advice on where i would need to make alterations would be appreciated, i have spare fabric so i can add onto the seams.

Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987 Thumbnail by jmc1987
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

that's pretty neat ! Just looking at the neck and shoulder area, I'm thinking if you unzip it back to where the velcro strips are (while it's on the dog), maybe you could 'pinch' together the area that's bunched up and see if that would make it fit better there. Perhaps you could make a dart (like you would in a waist or bust pattern) Of course, you'd have to re-do the zipper at that end, but I think that would be a good starting place.
Also, your idea of opening the leg holes in the front would help. I can't tell for sure how much excess fabric would be under the neck area, but when you unzip it, you may be able to pinch/adjust there also to allow for the neck movement.
If you decide to make another one, maybe cutting an old sheet or pillowcase, muslin, etc. and basting together, then fit to the dog, would show you where to adjust the body curves,like on the back of the neck or neck-to-front leg are.
We had german shepherds, the boys used to try to dress them up and they would just flop over on the floor until the boys took the clothes off them.. lol

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks for the advice, i will update you on how things work out :)

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Yay! I hope you get it figured out.. !

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

an update: turns out that what it needed was to make the whole coat just a bit bigger. still havent fully worked out that bump on the back, but at least the patch doesnt get obstructed anymore, so thats progress at least, and now at least he can wear it and use it properly.

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

sorry it took me a bit to check back in, I've been on Christmas vac, visiting out of state with my 4 yr old granddaughter.
Great job! Mr. Pup looks comfy in it, and so fashionable of red with his black spots.. lol Did you embroider the patch yourself or purchased?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks, the patch was some that my friend bought from a service dog company, and they stick onto the velcro squares that i put onto the sides

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Nice! will you be making these for other dogs or just your friend? Once you get the first one figured out, you may be getting requests for some!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.