Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

CLOSED: Green insect found inside

Annapolis, United States(Zone 7a)

we found this little buggie in the kitchen, and the girls thought it was a praying mantis baby. we put it on my houseplants. hope someone here can confirm or deny? thank you all!

Thumbnail by audreymarmot Thumbnail by audreymarmot Thumbnail by audreymarmot
Minot, ND

This is a nymph of an assassin bug (family Reduviidae) in the genus Zelus. Like mantids, these bugs are general predators on other arthropods, and thus usually considered as beneficial.

Annapolis, United States(Zone 7a)

thank you flapdoodle, you're awesome! i stowed him in my coleus collection in the kitchen window when i thought he was a mantis. i've heard that assassin bugs sometimes bite humans -- what are the odds you think s/he will manage to make it into a bedroom before april and bite one of us? eek!

Minot, ND

These little buggers can have a painful bite, but they are not aggressive towards humans, and usually will not bite (actually stab) without provocation, such as picking one up and handling roughly...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.