What is the purple plant

San Leandro, CA

Does anyone know the name of the plant growing with the Olivia rose? A larger picture can be seen in the online David Austin USA catalog.

Thumbnail by francine60
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

It could be one of the ornamental Salvias, such as S. guaranitica 'Black and Blue'.
there are several other possibilities.

If you are looking for something similar to this, check into what size the varieties grow to, and look at what color the flowers are- some are more purple, some light blue or dark blue. Others are in pinks or white or two-tones.

A few other possibilities:
Salvia chiapensis (hot pink) from cloud forests. San Leandro climate ought to suit this one very well.
Salvia x superba, S. nemerosa, S. sylvestris: Smaller than many Salvias- grows in a mound a foot or so high, and a bit wider (Size and colors vary with variety)
S. 'Amistad' (a hybrid of S. guarantica)
S. uliginosa (sky blue)

There are a LOT more- Try Berkeley Hort. Nursery.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Flowers and growth habit don't look like Salvia but there's not enough detail in that picture for ID. But based on other pics from the Austin Roses website that show more of the plant including the foliage, it looks like one of the ornamental catmint cultivars (Nepeta x faassenii or related species/hybrid).

This message was edited Jan 9, 2017 8:25 PM

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was sorta thinking it might be a Veronica.

Redwood City, CA

I vote for a catmint cultivar. It is definitely not a salvia black and blue, or a salvia uglinosa. I think that Veronicas typically have tapered spires which somewhat resemble Hebe flowers.

San Leandro, CA

I was thinking it was possible a catmint but cannot find a variety that looks like it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.