Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

Ant or wasp? Help... Concerns!

Las Cruces, NM

Many of these flaming red bugs burrowing in my Northern New Mexico garden soil. All have wings. Im new to this area and have never aeen them before. Besides that nasty looking stinger, im wondering if they are a danger to my plant roots. Is it a wasp or ant?

Thumbnail by sinuhe Thumbnail by sinuhe
Minot, ND

These wasps pose no threat to your plants - they dig burrows in the soil that they provision with live but paralyzed insects that serve as food for their developing larvae.

Las Cruces, NM

Thank You. What kind of wasp are they? Im happy they are not some kind of exotic ants.

Las Cruces, NM

Thank You. What kind of wasp are they? Im happy they are not some kind of exotic ants.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Is this a Great Golden Digger, Flap? We have digger wasps. Ours are very large and dark. They can paralyze and drag some pretty big insects into their burrows, like cicadas and grasshoppers. Very interesting to watch. I place a few stones near the nests to avoid stepping on them. There are usually one or two somewhere in the tilled soil in the vegetable garden.

Minot, ND

I can't say for sure, as I cannot see the abdomen clearly - great golden digger wasps usually have the tip of their abdomen quite dark.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.