CLOSED: maybe one of you knows what this is right off

Fairfax, United States

I know more about gardening than entymology, I saw this insect today on my japanese privet. It's about 1/3 of an inch long, and was climbing around on the leaves. I'm just generally curious, but also my privet has had yellow speckles all over some of its leaves for some time and I haven't been able to identify the cause. So I was wondering if this little guy might be part of the problem. Your help would be appreciated!

Thumbnail by originaljazzgirl
Minot, ND

This is a stonefly (order Plecoptera); likely a winter stonefly in the genus Taeniopteryx - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/53050057@N05/8460469711 for an example. These are completely harmless to plants.

Fairfax, United States

Oh my gosh ya nailed it!!!!! I guess I didn't have my settings to notify me when a response came in, so I didn't know you responded until just now when I checked the site. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! I'm trying to identify the source of some damage on my privet and I saw this dude, I didn't think he was the guilty party but my general curiously led me to see if any of you knew what it was. I really like the cool stained glass pattern on his/her wings. Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.