Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

SOLVED: Is this a birch tree and what caused hole?

Tacoma, WA

Is this a birch tree and what caused hole?

Thumbnail by tacomagardener
Richmond, TX

I don't know whether it is a birch, but it looks to me as if the hole was caused by trauma - something ran into it.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It looks like the tree was cemented over the roots. It's not a surprise the tree is dying. As porkpal pointed out, it was already in stress and was backed into/damaged. Without stems, leaves, etc it's hard to ID.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

It does not really look like birch (Betula species, there are several).
Are those seeds at the base of the tree?
Add pictures of leaves, flowers, fruit... whatever you can find, plus an overall shot that shows the size and shape of the plant.

Ditto the possible damage cause.

Lynnwood, WA

it looks like a magnolia tree but as all said it appears to be mechanical damage

Lynnwood, WA

Is the damaged area of the tree facing southwest?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Was this photo taken in Seattle? Those are strange looking leaf scars. Photos of other parts of the plant would help.

Lynnwood, WA

Upon closer inspection it does look as though the tree was trying to compartmentalize indicating that there was damage in the past. If this is a Magnolia or other tree with thin bark and facing southwest, it is possible that this is bark split due to the sunny exposure and the cold snaps that we had in recent months. Any additional information you can offer would be helpful

Tacoma, WA

My friend who took the pic lives in Key West..I noticed the black berries on the ground. Looked up trees with black berries and found one from Brazil? He was just curious what happened to the tree. I don't believe its in his yard.

Tacoma, WA

Found this cool tree on line..wonder if this is it.Called Jabuticaba..Brazilian Grape Tree..fruit grows on the bark!

Thumbnail by tacomagardener
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The original trunk looks like a Papaya and the little black things are Papaya seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.