Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

SOLVED: Please identify ... friend or foe plant?

Jackson, MS

This is growing in somewhat deep shade here in central Mississippi amongst my holly hedge bushes. Leaves are approximately the size of my camellia leaves but not as thick. It has very dark evergreen leaves.

Thumbnail by Jill_
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It certainly has a look of Ligustrum japonicum, which I believe is invasive, but I might be wrong. A few more pics might help, especially blooms.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree- Ligustrums in general reseed freely, often spread by birds. Opposite leaves, and lenticels on the twig are typical. I often find them growing up through other shrubs.

Jackson, MS

growin...After I read your post, googled Ligustrum japonicum. NC State University had a picture of the Ligustrum japonicum and the Ligustrum Lucidum side by side. I believe it is the Lucidum because the leaf is larger. It hasn't bloomed. Only about 2' to 3' in height at the present time. I actually like the color and shape of it and now that I see that it flowers, I think I will relocate and enjoy. Thank you.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I see what you mean with Ligustrum lucidum. It's also listed as an invasive in some areas. These 2 Ligustrums look handsome and it's too bad they've escaped captivity as they have. Glad you found an id.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.