Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

SOLVED: Mystery flower

Manderson, SD

Found in south dakota, western half, mix prairie and badlands, soil is mostly clay. Plant grows close to ground, stems some six inches or so long and tend to lay more than stand. Flowers not clustered so much as loosely grouped. Branches bearing leaflets do not go all the way up but stop roughly halfway along main stem. This flower is fairly common here, where cattle graze. I am thinking it is a type of vetch but no matter how I search, I cannot find its exact species. And it is going to bug me until I do. So please help me identify it if you can. Thank you.

Thumbnail by SpiritSinger Thumbnail by SpiritSinger Thumbnail by SpiritSinger Thumbnail by SpiritSinger Thumbnail by SpiritSinger
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Looks like a type of Vetch (Astragalus) although I'm not sure on which one. Maybe Astragalus nuttallianus?

Manderson, SD

Quote from growin :
Looks like a type of Vetch (Astragalus) although I'm not sure on which one. Maybe Astragalus nuttallianus?

I do not think so. The leaflets are similar but more thickly spaced than my plant and the leaflet branches do not go all the way to the flower head on my plant as it does on the nuttallianus....also, I would be considered north central, I think, here in south dakota. But thank you for your suggestion. On a side note...what is that very cool plant in your picture?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Check out other Astragalus in your area. The avatar pic is Aloe polyphylla, an endangered species of Aloe from Lesotho. Surprisingly cold hardy, I think I took this pic at Berkeley Botanical Garden. I just love the order of the leaves in a spiral formation. I just love plants.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61428

This message was edited Apr 20, 2017 11:04 PM

Manderson, SD

The ground plum does come close to it in description, but I guess I won't know for sure until they fruit out. We do have ground plums here, so maybe it is. Thank you for your help. And that is, I think, seriously the coolest Aloe I have ever seen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.