Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Help ID please!!

Wilmington, CA

This plant was given to my boyfriend and we arr debating on what kind of plant it is. I am afraid without proper care it will die! Please help identify it!!

Thank you

Thumbnail by BabyK
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

It's a piece of a Tillandsia (maybe T. aeranthos) that has been detached from its root system. Tillandsia are epiphytes (they grow on trees) so they won't do well in regular potting soil. You could try to save it by potting it in a well-drained medium such as orchid mix but it may not be worth the effort.

Ebensburg, PA(Zone 5b)

It looks like a bromeliad perhaps a tillandsia which are under 20 inches tall ; or a billbergia which is up to 30 icnes tall with gray-green tubular leaves. It looks like your plant is an offshoot or PUP from the mother plant. It needs to be planted in cacti type soil. Water then let it alone till it grows roots.
You can google bromelliads and you'll see many photos.

San Francisco, CA

I agree it is a Tillandsia; it should NOT be planted in soil or put in contact with any substrate that would stay moist.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Ditto: Tillandsia of some sort.
You could get an interesting piece of driftwood and use a little dab of super glue gel to hold it in place. Hang it on a wall that is fairly bright, such as at a north or east window, or if the window faces south or west, a sheer curtain to keep it a bit cooler would help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.